Default Children's Motrin for 8 month old?

Kayla had a TERRIBLE night teething last night. She was absolutely inconsolable. All I had was some Children's Motrin (I somehow couldn't find the Infant Tylenol of course when I needed it!) that I had for some reason and gave her a tiny bit to help ease the pain. What is the correct dosage for an 8 month old? Is there an Infant Motrin or is it just Children's? Should I go out and buy more Infant Tylenol instead? I don't want another night like last night and of course it's Sunday so I can't call the ped. (Well I could, but since this is an easy one I know you all can help me with, I'd rather just ask you...) BTW, last night was definitely a first. Both DH and I were up hovering over the crib, walking her around, rocking her, nursing her (ok...I was nursing her), loving on her... It was all so pitiful. She didn't have a fever, and her 2 little teeth have just cut over the past few days so we are pretty sure this was a teething deal.

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    5-1-03

mattiew Guest

Default RE: Children's Motrin for 8 month old?

I find the following website VERY helpful, especially on weekends and in the middle of the night when you can't get your ped.

http://www.fpa.yourmd.com
    then scroll down to "Dosages for Common Over-The-Counter Medicines".

HTH!
    Carrie

Sarah1 Guest

Jamie,

Yes, there IS INFANTS' ibuprofen, and I've been giving it to Audrey since she was 6 mos. Currently, I give her a dropperful and a half (there are dosing instructions, by weight, on the label).

IMO, the ibuprofen works A LOT BETTER than the Tylenol for teething. It lasts 8 hours. Ibuprofen also reduces inflammation, which tylenol (acetaminophen) doesn't.

I can't tell you how many of those little bottles we've gone through...when Audrey goes through a teething episode, we go through that stuff like crazy!

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can also find medication dosages on www.askdrsears.com in the Medicine Cabinet section.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

peanut4us Guest

You can totally use Childrens motrin for an infant. Mamahill (Sarah) turned me onto that when we were spending a fortune on the infant drops. If you go the site Rachel recommended, www.askdrsears.com and go to the medicine cabinet... here's the link straight to the Motrin part http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp In any case, near the bottom of hte page is a dosing chart. The most important part is to make sure that whatever you've got matches the milligram dosage. The nice thing about using children's motrin instead of the infant stuff... is that not only do you get more per bottle... but you can buy it for extra cheap in bulk at places like Sams or Costco. Good luck. HTH and that Kayla feels better soon.

Thanks guys...you are all the best!! I knew I could find the help I needed here. The websites are great and I've bookmarked them all!

Many many thanks!

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    5-1-03