Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    COElizabeth Guest

Default OT: Getting blueberry stain out of DS' clothes - and DS!

James had some frozen blueberries last night and after a bath and a night's sleep is still quite blue. I'm assuming he'll return to his normal color eventually, but I can't say the same for his bright yellow shirt.

I washed the shirt in warm water soon afterwards and then again with Zout sprayed on the blue areas. It's still blue. Any suggestions? Oh, and if anyone has any tips to de-blue the boy before MIL comes over this afternoon, that would be nice, too! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Torey Guest

Default RE: OT: Getting blueberry stain out of DS' clothes - and DS!

Well I once read somewhere that you can get berry stains out of clothes by pouring boiling water on the stain from 12 inches above the stain. I tried it once for a raspberry stain and it worked. Don't know if it will work with already washed stains or not. Another helpful hint book I have suggests hydrogen peroxide or borax to get the stain out. I'm thinking these might bleach your clothes though. A second book I have suggests rubbing the stain with lemon juice, sprinkling salt on it and setting it in the sun - repeat as necessary to lighten stain. Hope one of these works!

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My secret method of stain removal is to mix (now I forget the proportions, so I might have to call my mom) but in sink of Hot, hot water disolve 1/4 C. Clorox 2 color-safe bleach (the crystals in the box) and 1/2 C. of Cascade dishwashing soap (the crystals in the green box that you put in the dishwasher). I might have switched the proportions but I usually just eyeball anyhow. I think sometimes a 1 hour soak is sufficient, but on nasty stains I usually let sit overnight, sometimes adding more hot water. Good luck
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

I get blueberry stains out of DD clothes with Chlorox 2. She loves eating them and we frequently have stains everywhere.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

I get blueberry stains out of DD clothes with Chlorox 2. She loves eating them and we frequently have stains everywhere.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

luvbeinmama Guest

I have a bottle of Clorox2 handy for all those various berry stains. It works like a charm every time! I just put a little on the stain directly, let it sit for a couple minutes and toss in the wash.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've had good luck with Biz and Zout.

FYI, I would be cautious of the dishwasher detergent method with color clothes. Dishwasher detergent contains chlorine bleach, which is why its so great at getting out stains! :)

And as for James, he'll come clean eventually. :)

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The caffeine-strung crazy OxyClean man was shouting something about blueberry stains this morning on the TV...
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009