mrmansmom Guest

Default Flagger- a question

I'm just curious- In a recent thread you stated that you felt that getting a child's ears pierced was child abuse, but in an earlier thread you stated that if your Cocoa-to-be was a boy you would have him circumcised. Do you still feel that way? If so, I am just wondering how you can view getting two quick holes punched through cartilage as being more "abusive" than the act of circumcising a baby boy. Have you ever seen a circumsicion or even photographic stills from a procedure? It's definitely not something that you'd happen to glance over and see while munching on Sbarro at your local mall. These two views of yours don't seem consistent with one another.

flagger Guest

Default RE: Flagger- a question

We happen to believe the procedure to have significant medical benefits. It is also a religious requirement for our family. Piercing a child's ear is neither medically necssary nor do I know of any religious requirement for ear piercing. It is only cosmetic in nature. This is the only comment I will have on this thread. You asked a question and I have answered. I stand by my comments that I liken piercing an infant's ears to be a form of child abuse.

By thw way, I was not the only person in that thread who does not like the practice of piercing a child's ear. I wonder why you felt the need to call me out on it? Don't bother to respond because this is my one and only entry in this thread.

This is one of those areas where you just have to agree to disagree. While I think "child abuse" is a bit strong (actually, rediculously too strong) of terminology, I can see where one might find it unnecessary. I can also see where circumcision can be considered unnecessary as well. However, personally speaking, I would prefer to circumcise my son (if I had one) and as you can tell by the picture, we have chosen to pierce Kayla's ears... She doesn't look "abused" to me...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2934.jpg

ETA: Warning: Getting on my soapbox...
    These boards have always been a friendly supportive place. I think it is important to think before we post. One's personal feelings may strike a chord and really offend or upset someone. While I'm a big girl and know that some people disagree with ear piercing, I've never had someone come out and call that abuse...and could be hurtful to someone who does everything in their power to keep a happy, healthy, well-adjusted, well-dressed, well-strolled baby. ;) To be honest, it has obviously made me feel a bit hurt or I wouldn't have posted. On the other side of the coin calling someone out on their feelings of circumcision may make those who have circumscised their sons feel hurt about the personal choice they have made. My point is no one should be made to feel uncomfortable about the choices they make for their children on these boards. That's not what it's about. No one on these boards (that I can speak of and "know") seem to want to cause any harm to their children...or we wouldn't be here. Can we please keep this board supportive of one another's feelings rather than an arena of hurtful feelings? Ok, off my soapbox.

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    May '03

Grace_underfire Guest

The statement that piercing your baby's ears is child abuse just made me laugh. I choose to laugh, but truth is it is a bit insulting. I am from Spain and if you are a girl 99% get their ears pierced in the hospital. Guess what? My parents did NOT abuse me and I am glad I did not have to go to a place in the mall when I was 13 to get them done. Like I said this is somewhat insulting to my deceased parents. Lets not use the word abuse lightly please. Like the previous poster said unnecessary or optional would be more appropiate.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

OK folks, your friendly neighborhood moderator here. Posts that are specific attacks against individual members are not allowed per Alan and Denise's guidelines. I am going to lock this thread.

Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)