jgv Guest

Default Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn Discounts

Hello All,

Does anyone know how much Williams Sonoma and/or Pottery Barn Employee Discounts are?

If you are employed at one, can you use your discount at the other?

What is the minimum that the store will require someone to work?

Can you get the employee discount on items that are only available by catalog?

(You can see what I'm thinking, right?)

Thanks,

Jgv

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn Discounts

I worked there over a year ago but here is the info as I remember :)

The discount is 40% ~ except on anything that plugs in at WS, then it is either 10 or 15% (cannot remember) ~ good at any of the affiliated companies and catalogs (PB, WS, PBK, PB Teen, PB Bed and Bath, Chambers, and West Elm). If you order a catalog item it HAS TO BE shipped to your home and NOT the store (sorry...no saving on shipping fees and surcharges). I do not know the hour requirements, although I am assuming that it probably varies from store to store (one store's minimum might be 16 hours whereas anothers might be 8, one store might require you to work at least one evening shift a week or a weekend day...you never know). It cannot hurt to call a store that you are not considering applying to and ask them :)

Good luck!!

ETA: I have also worked at Restoration Hardware. I cannot speak for it now, as it has been over 1.5 years since I left, but it was soooo great. You can find a gift for EVERYONE on your holiday list there. They do not have any associated stores but their discount was also 40%.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Yeah, it's still 40%. I looked into working at WS during the holidays. I desperately want a job there just to return my paycheck for goods.

I know that one of the people who worked at WS only worked 8 hours per week.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

jgv Guest

Thanks--Great Information!

Can you get the 40% (xcept plug in things at WS) on sale items?

jgv

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I want to say "yes" to sale items but am not sure...sorry :(

Good luck :)
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

em_jon98 Guest

I was a manager for WS four years ago, so some of this may have changed.

The discount was 40% on regular priced, non-electric items. Electrics and sale items were 20% off (electrics usually have a lower markup, so they cannot pass on a large discount.) The discount was valid at any of the brands owned by W-S Inc., so Pottery Barn, PBKids, Chambers, etc., were all included. Catalog orders were permitted, but you did not get a discount on the shipping charges. There was not an hours requirement to get the discount, but there were restrictions on discount purchases for temporary seasonal employees.

We required people to have an avaliability of 3 shifts per week. This did not actually mean that people worked three shifts per week. I had many associates who were strictly there because they loved the store, believed in the products...and they wanted the discount. Many of these people worked one weekend shift or one to two night shifts per week. We were pretty liberal with hiring people we thought would fit in well with our store and who would have the ablility to communicate well with our customers. Hiring policies, as with any company, tend to vary greatly depending on the area of the country and the attitude of the store manager. We always wanted to hire people who wanted to work in our store because they loved our store. They made the best salespeople, and were also some of the best customers. I'm not saying this will be true all over the place, but I know this was the sort of attitude the company liked to promote. So, it never hurts to ask :).

I used to work there and my sister is a current manager.

The employee discount at Williams Sonoma, PB, PBK, PBTeen, and their 2 other catalog companies (cannot remember their names right now...) is 40%. This is for regular priced items and SPECIALS. All SALE items, ending in .99 or .49 are 20% off. The electrics and grills at WS are 20% off.

Yes, you can get discounts at all the company stores, including catalog only items.

It varies by store, but I worked at PBK and was told the min. I had to work was 8 hours/week and I had to give one week night and one weekend day. That is apparently required by all stores (or so my mgr told me.)

HTH!
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

Sorry, 20% on sale items... see my e-mail below
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)