Vajrastorm Guest

Default Too much perfume

Is this worth saying something about? My MIL is a sweet woman who adores her granddaughter to pieces, but every time she comes over she is wearing a largish amount of perfume on her shirt. She helps me out my playing with Aine while I do laundry, or get a haircut, etc.

I have two concerns -
    1. My baby stinks like a grown woman after grandma has been here.
    2. Is it harmful for her to have her face nuzzled in that shirt for periods of time?

I can live with no. 1, but I am a little concerned about no. 2. Am I being an over-protective first time mom here? I don't want to hurt my MIL's feelings. I wish I had said something way back when, as this has been as issue since Aine was born.

I don't even wear my perfume at all anymore. because I figure at best its unplesant for the baby, and at worst the baby is breathing in God-knows-what.

papal Guest

Default RE: Too much perfume

If it is really bothering you, (i can't stand a ton of perfume too) then you can always use the ped as a scapegoat with the 'oh, my pediatrician says that Aine is VERY sensitve to smells so that is why she is so uncomfortable'.. worded better than that ofcourse.
    Your MIL is a sweetheart to be helping out so I would try not to hurt her feelings. But she obviously loves you and her Aine a lot so I am sure she would do anything for Aine's sake.

sidebar: is it true that in canada you are not allowed to wear perfume in public areas?

toomanystrollers Guest

In probably about 2 years or less, Aine will set Gramma straight herself :)

pritchettzoo Guest

I get migraines from some perfumes. Maybe you could sort of go at this in a roundabout way... "It's strange, but after the baby, I've been so sensitive to smells that I've had to stop wearing perfume. I got stuck in an elevator with a woman who had gone swimming in hers and I about died. Is that the same perfume you've always worn? You know, I never even noticed it before the baby. I miss smelling nice, but the headaches sure aren't worth it..." then go right into another topic. Either she'll think of that the next time she's getting ready to come to your house or it will fly over her head.

I don't think it's dangerous for the baby as long as she's not dotting kerosene on her pressure points. :P

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)