Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default toy to teach buttons, snaps, laces (Button Up Betsy doll?)

Is there a toy that enables a child to practice buttoning, snapping, playing with laces, etc.? When I was a child, I had a cloth doll like this called Button Up Betsy. She wore something like a vest with several layers, each of which had the different activity. There was also a matching boy doll that followed the same idea. I don't remember his name, but I recall him looking something like Barney from The Flintstones.

Anyway, is there a toy today either like this, or that promotes the same idea? My daughter is loving snaps and buttons, and I imagine (perhaps a little unrealistically) her sitting entertained for hours with a toy like this. If anyone has ideas, please post name of toy and where to find it. Thanks.

Karen

Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

zen_bliss is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: toy to teach buttons, snaps, laces (Button Up Betsy doll?)

i love the llama in pajamas! the museum of fine arts boston sold these a few tears ago and they show up on eBay from time to time. there is a small one (about 11") and a big one (about 16"). both sizes are on auction now, but here is a completed one with a better photo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3183875551

We have the Lamaze Teach-Me Taxi that has buttons, snaps, and zippers (I don't think there are any laces though):

http://www.epinions.com/kifm-Toys-Al..._Teach_Me_Taxi

Both my kids love it.

nitaghei Guest

You can find the old toys on Ebay! How do I know? We just got a "Dapper Dan" for my niece - because that is what my SIL had growing up and she HAD to have it for her little girl. Was this the boy version that you remember?

There is also a doll called Squeak E. Mouse
    http://www.liveandlearn.com/dressupmouse.html

Here's one called Learn and Play Teddy
    http://tinyurl.com/yqj2y

HTH

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

What about the Melissa & Doug Basic Skills Board? I don't have it yet but I'm thinking of getting it for DD.
    http://creativebrainsonline.com/melanddougba.html

bluej Guest

I just saw a boy doll and a girl doll (not the ones from our childhood) a couple of weekends ago. I didn't look to see what brand they were but that was the first time I've seen the girl/boy dolls in I don't know how long (a decade maybe?). Usually I come across animal ones or have seen puzzles with those activities. Hmmm, I'm going home again this weekend, I might have to go and pick one up.

Btw Jeanne (Trumansmom), it was in your town I saw it of all places!

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Cool! I was thinking of getting one of these as well! Where on earth did you find it here?!

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

bluej Guest

A la Mode! Cute little shop. They also have this cute little plush slice of cheese w/ little mice that you can pull out of the holes and stuff back in that I'm thinking of getting for Ryden since he's in a 'stuffing' stage.

I got this board (cheap, TJ Maxx) instead of the Squeak E. Mouse and I have to say that it's not a big hit here. She will occassionally use it like a puzzle, but she isn't at all interested in the laces, buckle, snaps. I might go ahead and get the mouse. She loves dolls and stuffed animals so I think that might be more engaging for her.

Paula-- mom to Roley Julia --01-04-02

lukkykatt Guest

We have the Sueak E. Mouse and it is really nice. It was a gift for my younger son, but my 4 year old is the one who plays with it the most so far.

We also have the Melissa and Doug Basic Skills Board, but so far that has not caught on nearly as much as the mouse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast