cmfurness Guest

Default HELP! 18 hour flight with 3 kids!

My husband and I (along with my mom and dad) are flying to the PHILIPPINES with our three kids - 4.5 y.o., 3 y.o., and 1 y.o. It is an 18 hour flight. We will be in the Philippines for 10 days. You must think I am crazy but I AM desperate for any nugget of advice from anyone who has ever attempted something like this or has even contemplated it.

I think we will be purchasing a Sit n Stroll soon. We will be bringing diapers, wipes, Purell, Ziploc bags, bottled water, and maybe a portable DVD player for the kids. We will check in a Pack and Play and another stroller.

Any thoughts or help appreciated!!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: HELP! 18 hour flight with 3 kids!

Bring snacks Lots and lots of snacks and juice boxes too! Board books, Color wonder markers and paper, magnadoodle, small toys! The DVD player is a great idea.... just be sure to have plenty of batteries for it (and a converter to be able to charge them for the plane ride home!).... a couple of movies will kill a few hours at least! Be sure to bring a change of clothes for each child adn for yourself.... there is no tellign when there might be a blowout diaper or someone gets airsick.... my son always manages to puke on me if he is going to throw up!!!! Keep in mind they might actually sleep for 8 or 9 hours out of that time...... if they seem to get sleepy at home with an antihistamine then give them all a dose when it's sleepy time (but try it out ahaead of time cause you never know when it will have the opposite effect on a child)!!!! With 4 adults and 3 kids you will probably do just fine! Another option would be to attempt to break up the trip.... a day or two stop over where ever might be a half way point!

Good Luck
    ~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

shishamo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Here are some stuff that I bring when I fly:

-Whenever we fly, I always bring several special presents-mainly cheap toys (99cents store) wrapped in tissue. Pull one out every half an hour per child.
    -snacks are great, except they tend to make my kids airsick (and throw up). Ration them and don't overload at once.
    -preschool workbooks for 3 and 4.5 year olds-connect-the-dot, maze, coloring books. They require adult help but since you have 4 adults/3 kids, that should work, right?
    -playdoh party pack
    -portable DVD player would be great. Bring a spare battery if you can.
    -books, new and favorites

Good luck!
    Mom to three kids

Kate888 Guest

You've got GREAT advice so far. Don't forget to bring their lovies. DD will NOT sleep without her favorite blanket. Sit'N Stroll is great for international flights (747s), because you can wheel it all the way to your seats. Bring the instructions with you, because most flight attendants have never seen a seat like this and will question you if it's approved to use on planes. You may need to ask for a seatbelt extender to securely strap it on the seat. Other than toys, books, snacks, water and change of clothes, I like to bring a little album for the younger ones. My toddler loves to look at pics and hear stories about them (i.e. going to the park with Dad, birthday party at friend's house).

For the older kids, maybe tell them all the fun things you're going to do in the Phillipins, or show them pictures of the islands. They'll have something to look forward to when they're on the plane.

With 4 adults and 3 kids, you'll do fine. At least you're not out-numbered and can take turns resting :)

Good luck and have a fun trip!

Kate
    Mama to Maya 2-17-02

cmfurness Guest

Thanks for all your advice. I have been busily packing, incorporating all your advice. Got books on the Philippines from the library. Have wrapped all their new toys in tissue paper.

Any thoughts about where to sit on the plane or what meal to order? (Kid meal vs. regular business class meal.)