barbarhow Guest

Default Chicken Parmesan

Anyone have a good easy recipe for Chicken Parm? I told my DH I would make it for dinner tonight but realize that I have no clue how to make it and the recipes that I have found on epicurious don't seem to resemble traditional chicken parm. (sorry for the run on sentence). TIA
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Chicken Parmesan

Not sure how traditional this version is, but it's very easy. And it's lighter than most recipes. We make it about every other week or so. Serve with pasta.

Herbed Chicken Parmesan (from Cooking Light 11/03)
    Serves 4
    Totaly time: 28 mins

1/3 cup greated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten
    1 pound chicken breast tenders
    1 1/2 cups bottled fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/3 cup shredded provolone cheese

Preheat broiler.

Combine 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, basil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Place egg white in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken tender in egg white; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 mins on each side or until done. Set aside.

Combine 1/8 teaspoon salt, pasta sauce, vinegar, and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with platic wrap; vent. Microwave sauce mixture at HIGH 2 mins or until thoroughly heated. Pour the sauce over chicken in pan. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining Parmesan and provolone cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil, and broil 2 mins or until cheese melts.

Calories 308 (30% from fat); Fat 10.4g Protein 35.9g; Carb 16.2g; Fiber 1/8g; chol 88mg; iron 2.3mg; sodium 808mg; calc 249mg

mattysmom Guest

This isn't really a recipe, but chicken parm is one of our backup, last-minute dinners.

Buy pre-cooked Purdue breaded chicken patties (they come regular and low-fat, and "original" and italian spice in the refrigerated section, but can be frozen) and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes. When they're almost done, top with shredded mozz. cheeze (and sauce, if you like) and cook for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve over pasta and sprinkle some parsley for a "homemade" touch. This is truly the busy person's recipe, but it works for us as we both work and by the time I get home I don't want to spend my evening in the kitchen (I'm starting to sound defensive, sorry!) Pre-baby I made the one from Cooking light and it was delicious!

And I'm sure other folks have other REAL recipes which will taste great!

Happy Cooking!

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well this is one of my super easy recipes. And I think it tastes pretty good.

I get a package of skinless breasts and I trim them down and some times cut them in half. I toss the chicken in a flour/breadcrumb mixture then I pan fry them with a little butter.

I put them in a pan and I top with Don Pepino sauce. And I swear if you look at the can you'd think I was crazy. But this sauce isn't pasty at all and tastes fresh ~ it even has tomato seeds in it. And I'd never use jar sauce for anything but this stuff is good and works well for the recipe.

Then I top with shredded motzeralla and bake.

When DH does this he doctors it up with shallots or mushrooms but I prefer it my way. Oh and he dips the chicken in egg before the flour/breadcrumbs.

Allison
    ~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
    and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

we make this, too. But we also spread spaghetti sauce over the pattie, then cheese, and cook the last few minutes. So easy and everyone loves it!
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

barbarhow Guest

Thanks everyone! We will definately have chicken parm tonight. I''ll probably combine all the versions.....I can never follow one recipe.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03