Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does being sick affect going into labor?

I've caught a nasty cold with a sore throat, runny nose, etc. Needless to say I feel pretty miserable and can't even fathom going into labor on top of it. I'm six days overdue and my doc wants to induce me tomorrow. Are my chances of going into labor on my own reduced because my body is trying to recover? Will my sickness affect the baby(my milk didn't come in until day 4 last time)? Should I cancel my induction? I can't find any info on this so any advice from any doctors or other sick laboring mothers would really help. Thanks!
    JP

aliceinwonderland Guest

Default RE: Does being sick affect going into labor?

No advice, just LOTS of sympathy...Can your Dr. postone induction by just one day or so? It may be just what you need to get your strength back...You poor thing, as if labor weren't taxing enough. Ugh.

thinking of you...

Jen in Chicago Guest

I had a cough/cold/sore throat. The worse part was coughing afterwards with little bladder control---I know too much information! I could not sleep b/c of the cough. I asked if I could have cough syrup and it make all the difference in the world b/c I NEEDED SLEEP!

I was miserable going in, but all I remember now is the cough. Funny how your perspective of things changes. I guess I come from the school of if you are going to be uncomfortable why don't you get as much discomfort done at the same time as you can, then you are sick/uncomfortable less time?

Could your illness now be because of seasonal allergies?

I had a pretty nasty cold when I gave birth, it didn't seem to affect labor and delivery at all. I felt fine during the day (ds was born at 9 am) but that first night was rough, I was tired (of course!) from delivery, but felt horrible and was coughing which caused gushes of fluid (sorry if tmi) and I couldn't sleep. I had some trouble with my milk coming in, which I think may have been related to some cold medicine I took out of desperation. I would try and postpone a day or two if you can. If not, I would avoid taking anything for your cold. I hope you feel better soon, and trust me you will feel a wonderful high when that little baby arrives no matter what!
    Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

Jen we posted at the same time-too funny about the gushing!

shishamo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a truly nasty cold/cough and I coughed so hard that I cracked my rib right before my water broke. I actually think my cough/cold brought on labor (I was 2 weeks early) since I really literaly coughed all day and night. It was very hard between contractions and coughing (every time I cough, my water spilled put) until I got an epi. I remember saying to the doctor, 'wow, I never felt so good in the last 2 weeks.' I had a baby fairly soon after that.

So, I don't think it will affect the labor. Hope you can meet your baby soon!
    Mom to three kids

Were you all able to hold your babies afterwards? Did they catch what you had? I'm just worried about that. Thanks!

DS did not catch what I had, and yes I was able to hold him as soon as he was born-he stayed with me the first night and nobody seemed at all concerned about my cold.

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I thought I had strep throat the week before I was due, I was miserable with a sore throat and runny nose. My midwife said that the runny nose was pretty normal (your body steps up mucous production in preparation for birth) and the sore throat is often a result of the excess mucous.

I did have a step test and it was normal .... and with so many other people saying they felt the same way, it probably is more common than not.

suribear Guest

If you're nursing, don't worry about giving it to your baby as s/he will get antibodies from you.

Why do you have to induce so soon? 42 weeks would be within the normal range, too. Can you wait it out? I wouldn't have wanted to go through labor being sick, but then again I had a long hard failed induction :(

Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast