Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lmariana Guest

Default Stained Baby Teeth?

I searched the archives and couldn't find anything on this...

Gabe's two bottom front teeth have some grayish stains on them. :( My first thought is cavities, but the stains are just in the front and we brush his teeth too often to think it's actually a cavity. I wipe his teeth after every meal and brush every night before bed.

So, any other thoughts? I just started noticing it the last week or so. He has his 9 mo. checkup this Friday, so I'll get to ask the ped. then, but I just want some input in the mean time!

Thank you!

Mariana
    www.heinzandmariana.com
    Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Stained Baby Teeth?

could it be from flouride?

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

lmariana Guest

Huh, I don't know. Does Fl stain teeth like that? Our ped told us to use tap water for mixing formula so that he would get enough Flouride, so maybe that's it.

Mariana
    www.heinzandmariana.com

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

yes, flouride (too much) can stain teeth. but if you're not using more than just tap water, that shouldn't do it, unless your water is REALLY flouridated?

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

lmariana Guest

I guess I better test my water!

Mariana
    www.heinzandmariana.com

Another thing could be iron drops. Billy just had his 1 year appt and we found his hemoglobin was low so he is taking iron drops and these can stain teeth
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

tinkerbell1217 Guest

We have the opposite problem, stained permanent teeth. My kids dentist said its from fluoride. Their baby teeth were PERFECT! When their permanent teeth started coming in, DD two front ones were stained. DS is also because of the medication he takes, but his were the same way! They said it was from fluoride.

Kelly

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Mariana,
    I don't know what it's from, you can check your ped, but my teeth were like that as a baby and my permanent teeth are fine. And I've never had a cavity, for what it's worth!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

sweetbasil Guest

When I was a teenager I babysat for a little guy who had gray staining on his front teeth, and it was from an iron deficiency. His ped put him on an iron supplement, which kept the staining from spreading; oh, and his permanent teeth were fine.

I hope Gabriel's 9 mo. checkup goes well!

cmyk is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Hi Mariana,

My DD had grayish/brownish staining on her two bottom front teeth as well. It looked like her teeth never got brushed! I searched everywhere for info on this. I called my ped's office and the nurse thought it could be stains from dark fruit juice. (DD only had a very,very small amt of prune juice in oatmeal daily, so I had my doubts.) I saw a ped (not my usual) and he didn't know what it was from, and if the stains are permanent.

So, I took her to my dentist. He took one quick look and knew exactly what it was. He said that when teeth emerge from the gums, there's a sac that breaks open and some of it remains on the teeth. He said it will eventually wear away, and it did.

HTH,

Shelley

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast