Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What famous people have you met/seen, and are any in your family?

You never know, this could end up being 7 degrees of Baby Bargains!

Totally curious and for complete laughs, have you met/seen any celebrities or famous people? Are there any famous people in your family?

For me, I have met/seen Martin Sheen (that man is so short, I almost ran him over), Eddie Murphy (huge bodyguard contingency), #### Van Patten, Eric Bogosian, Hulk Hogan, Micheal Jordan, Kevin Costner (just as gorgeous in person), Kathy Griffin, Bubba Smith, Regis Philbin, George Wendt (Norm!), #### Vitale, and a boatload of Kennedys (Ethel, Will K. Smith, Christopher, Teddy, Maria Shriver and few others). Is that a random list or what?

As for famous people in my family, I have two--John Hiatt and Steve Alford. John Hiatt is a singer/songwriter who has written songs for Clapton, Bonnie Riatt (he wrote "Thing Called Love", Jackson Browne, Bob Dylan and others). He's like a third cousin or something like that. His grandfather and my great-grandmother were brother and sister. Steve Alford is the head basketball coach at the University of Iowa and won the NCAA championship for Indiana University in 1987. His family connection is similar--my great-grandmother and his grandmother were sisters. Nice tenous connection huh? But it's all I've got... ;)

What about you?

ETA: Totally forgot to add Jesse Jackson, David Cassidy (saw them both on 2 different flights), and Sean Astin. Also, Sean Astin is married to DH's high-school girlfriend.

starrynight Guest

Default RE: What famous people have you met/seen, and are any in your family?

No major celebrities in the family but on my mom's side wayyyy back is the guy who wrote the song "silent night".
    http://tinyurl.com/2fc4g
    btw that site was translated so the text is a bit choppy. It's originally in german.

And Rudolf Valentino is somehow related to dh, again we're going way back but it's something :D.

Dh has met some bands backstage when he was a teenager but nothing else.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mainly because of my dad's writing, I've met a lot of people. Lunch with Jimmy Carter was my favorite. I think my dad would say that Robert Kennedy and Bishop Tutu are at the top of his list. And my DH is tangentially related to Gwyneth Paltrow. His aunt is quite close to her and has pictures of seven-year-old Gwyn with freckles and pigtails on her fridge. :)

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Related to anyone famous? In my crack-pot family? No way! But, meeting famous people...most of mine are political. Shook Bill Clinton's hand '94, chatted w/ John Kerry about body piercing and Boston Pubs, told Barbara Boxer that it was because of her that I met my husband, and have a baseball signed by Bill Bradley athere are a lot of other politicians too (DH worked for the Democratic Convention in 2000).

But, I've also met Jimmy Smitts at his bar, the Congo Room, and sort of pushed my body into Vince Vaughn's at a bar (the one in Swingers with the two old folks singing) :)

ETA: oh, and Wierd Al stepped on my foot at Gameworks in Seattle. He was so nice and polite about it too.
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That's great about Steve Alford, Maureen--I'm a Hoosier & IU alum and we still remember him fondly (LOL it was the last time we won the championship!). BTW--Stephen King sat behind me at the Final Four in '92--creepy!

Most famous person I've ever seen: Pope John Paul II (was very close to him at a special service at St. Peter's, a total fluke!). My husband and I were in LA and DH (literally) ran into Jennifer Love Hewitt at Fred Segal's (after we saw Tobey Maguire at the cafe & Betty White at lunch). Had drinks once with Q-Tip of a Tribe Called Quest after a concert (DH was the head of the concert board at his college so he met a ton of famous people). Saw Laura Bush at Banana Republic in Georgetown. What a random bunch. I'm sure there are others that I am forgetting, but it's fun to try and remember.

ETA: I'm sure many of you NPR fans will appreciate this: Steve Inskeep went to my high school & I've met his brother. He was several years ahead of me in school. I was a DJ at our high school radio station--the same place where Steve Inskeep got his start!

flagger Guest

Hmmm.

I worked in radio from the time I was 15 until 25 and then from 29 to 32 plus I did an internship with the David Letterman show in 1988. My "meetings" (besides David Letterman) include:

Jon Bon Jovi, Elton John, Robin Williams, Jay Leno, Sylvester Stallone, Billy Joel, Joe Walsh, Ry Cooder, Rosslyn Carter, Cher, Jewel, Rob Thomas, Shania Twain, Roger Daltrey, Peter Graves, Ed McMahon, Bret Michaels, Young MC, Sherman Hemsley and many more. When I lived in Houston I ran into Barbara Bush at the grocery store at which my mom used to shop.

The two favourite people I ever met were Lionel Richie and Gene Cernan (the last man to walk on the moon on Apollo 17). I won't say who was my least favourite.

I never met him but I sent Charles Schulz two letters as a kid and got personal (or at least I thought they were) replies which I still have to this day.

I am realted to Fannie Flagg; "Fried Green Tomatoes", and Joseph Flagg who was the artist for Uncle Sam.

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I saw Bette Miller pumping gas!!! It was a white corvette.

I live in a touristy town and have seen Billy Joel, Bill Walton, Phil Jackson, Julie Roberts, Meg Ryan, Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Barney Martin, Natalie Merchant and Eric Roberts live in our town.

I don't think I am related to anyone famous.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Geesh, I've been living a stone's throw from Hollywood for about 3 years now and I never see anybody. Well, I've got a few, but nothing special:

Saw David Lee Roth at the Thai restaurant that is 2 blocks from my house. Went to see a taping of According to Jim and sort of met Jim Belushi. Saw the back of Kobe Bryant's head at the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica (as my friends were saying, "over there, he's right there, don't you see...")...DH and I both met Howard Dean when we lived in Vermont. DH met John Irving when he was at a colleague's house whose DH happens to be a writer as well. DH met Dennis Hopper a long time ago, and he had a film seminar with Roger Ebert. I used to work with Jessica Tandy's granddaughter. And I swear I was in line next to Scott Peterson/Michael Jackson's lawyer a few months ago at a Panda Express - can't remember his name right now, Mark Gerragos maybe? Can't be sure it was him, but it sure looked and sounded like him.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

JenCA Guest

Considering the fact that I live in CA, I really haven't seen all that many celebrities. My most recent sighting was Christina Aguilera (she was having dinner in the same restaurant as me). She was really toned down...cargo pants, a tank top, no makeup and hair in a ponytail, and she looked SO much better that way than all made up.

What else...up until about two years ago, my sister and her DH lived about two blocks away from both Sharon Stone and Robin Williams. Also, her DH's uncle lives next door to Billy Idol (the uncle used to be Michael Landon's attorney), and Madonna used to live in his neighborhood.

Oh yeah--my cousin used to date Kevin Bacon (pre-Kira Sedgewick), so I have that seven degrees game down to a science. ;)

ETFix typo..

Interesting topic! :-) We live in southern CA, so have seen quite a few...Pamela Anderson shopping, Lara Flynn Boyle shopping, Jay Leno, Bill Maher, Billy Corgan (met him...so nice!!!!), a few soap stars, some "teen" stars, Ethan Embry, etc., Danny DeVito, Jon Lovitz, some directors, hmmm..who else...I teach in a nice area, Lenny Dykstra's kids go to my school, Bruce Willis's nieces, too, Wayne Gretzky taught basketball at my school, and many celebrities live in the area. My DH worked in Tv/Film for 5 years and has met a ton of people. It wasn't even a big deal to him anymore. Imagine that! I still get excited! No one famous..yet! I have quite a few friends who are talented singers, in bands, and/or actors, so maybe someday!
    :-) Amy
    Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast