Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default POISON CONTROL -from the mouths of

Hey gang, I just called Poison Control happily without incident, to obtain "MR YUCK" stickers. I remember having them at the hospital to give to people. They don't hand out those stickers for they said it give a false sense of security because things without the stickers then appear safe to children which we know is not the case.

Anyway lets all memorize this number (for I actually had to call 1-800 information for it).

Nationally the number is 1-800-222-1222
    This I think is new for it allows NC poison control to pick up if you are in NC, but Maine poison control to pick up if you are on vacation in Maine and thus they have hospital numbers etc...

We know the drill to put poison items out of reach.
    Don't rely on "safety caps" on medicine, infact they are finding the youngest of children are able to manipulate these caps with success.

EDITED FOR POOR WORDING HERE...for I don't think Ipecac is totally discouraged, jut no the method of choice.
    The American Academy of Pediatrics and Poison Control no longer recommend that the method OF CHOICE be "Serum Ipecac" for emergency.

THEY RECOMMEND HAVING ACTIVATED CHARCOAL...NOT PILLS...POWDER FORM...THIS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM PHARMACYS (SPECIAL ORDER POSSIBLY) AND THAT PHARMACIES ARE GIVING FOLKS A DIFFICULT TIME SOMETIMES. SO STRESS POWDERED...DON'T LET THEM TALK YOU INTO CAPSULES.
    HAVE HIS ON HAND, TRAVEL TO GRANDMAS HOUSE WITH IT, AND ON ANY VACATIONS...DO NOT GIVE IT WITHOUT CALLING POISION CONTROL, BUT IT CAN SAVE YOU A TRIP TO THE ER, BUT BETTER THAN THAT STARTS THE COURSE OF ACTION!!!!

I hope we never need this, but it's best to know and wanted to share!!!!
    Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Dscvrlifewith3 Guest

Default RE: POISON CONTROL -from the mouths of

While they don't recommend it, they will ask if you have Ipecac on hand if you call them. And I have had to use it, three times. Last June my two young sons, 1 and 2, took adult Tylenol. The older of the two had pulled out the kitchen drawers to make stairs, climbed on the kitchen counter, stood on some cooking books to even get the meds in their child proof container. The first thing out of the woman's mouth was did we have the Ipecac on hand.

Also if you go to get the charcoal you may have to very persistent in obtaining it. I know we did.

Good advice Neve!

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

She said the same thing...why is that??? I didn't want to take up her time and keep other calls holding, but what on Earth can a pharmacist say to disuade us???...If they give me trouble I will take my script refill business elsewhere (and I'll tell them), but I wonder why this is the case...again she said the exact same thing-I mean we are paying for it!!!!!
    Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had no problem getting activated powder charcoal at my local pharmacy.

I have PC# on the fridge and taped to my cell phone... (I know how you feel about things on the fridge, Neve)
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

mommd Guest

You can order both Ipecac and powdered activated charcoal from www.galls.com . They even have a kit that contain both: http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...=FK015&cat=276

Dscvrlifewith3 Guest

because I think they believe parents will use it when its not necessary and they like it to be given at hospitals. The thing is, people may live far away from a hospital, and like with Tylenol, where liver damage can take place and even death you need to do something immediately. You dont wait to drive to the hospital and go to the ER.
    I will continue to have the Ipecac syrup in the house for these reasons. We live close to a hospital but like with the tylenol incidence, I had to take immediate action with two small children.

Also, having milk on hand is always good. Like if kids eat or drink cleaners, most of the time poison control will tell you to have them drink milk.

Unfortunately for us I have many many experiences calling poison control. One of my sons can bypass all childproofing!

Dscvrlifewith3 Guest

Wow thanks for the link I will be passing it to many! and using it myself!

cinrein Guest

I have the Poison Control phone number on each telephone. I'm too worried that if I'm in a panic I won't remember the phone number. I sometimes can't immediately remember my own phone number. :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

our ped said that young women/teens have been abusing the stuff for its "purging" qualities.

sad, isn't it?
    marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks neve...I think I'm going to order that kit. The stuff I have from my college first-aid-kit project is likely expired. LOL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast