Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default do abdominal muscles grow back together after C-section?

I know this may be silly, but every time I try to read up on this I get woozy and feel like I'm going to faint. I can't stand reading about operations or people getting cut open (even though I had a C-section). Anyway, my friend (the one who said I look pregnant even though I'm not, if you happened to see that earlier post) mentioned that it's hard to get your tummy back in shape after a c-section b/c they cut the muscles. My husband said later, "Yeah, but they grow back together." Is that right? What's the deal? Will sit-ups help me?
    Thanks for your thoughts on this.
    ETA: Please don't give me any graphic details!

amp Guest

Default RE: do abdominal muscles grow back together after C-section?

Okay, absolutely not an expert here, but this is my understanding from my CS. Since mine was an 11th hour planned and scheduled CS, they did not cut the muscles. They moved them to the side and they did not move them back. I was told by my OB that it is more traumatic to the muscles to try moving them more by moving them back into place than to let them get there on their own. I believe she indicated that in emergency situations, other things can happen, and perhaps this includes cutting, but I don't know anything about that. Chances are, and this is only my guess, yours were not cut, but moved. I would assume, however, that this causes some trauma to them that would make it difficult to use those muscles as efficiently as before without some extra excercise, but that is also just a guess. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can help you better than I can.

Very interesting. Mine was a planned c-section, too, so I wonder if my doc did the same thing. Thanks!

My OB said that they separate the muscles and they knit back together after about 8w or so. That's why you're not supposed to be doing any lifting at first (and definitely no sit ups!).

The c/s itself isn't that bad. I didn't even known they started till they were 15 minutes in already.

I don't think that it's any worse getting back in shape, it just may take a little longer due to that 6-8 week wait. But who's awake enough to exercise that soon? :P

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Well, Jack is a year and a half now, so I think the statute of limitations on excuses is about to run out... :) (FWIW, my c-section went great and aside from being in horrible pain the next day as I tried to walk to the bathroom from my hospital bed, I have no complaints.)

Wow, only the next day? I couldn't walk without holding walls/furniture for three weeks!!!

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

ncmommy Guest

I'm certainly not an expert on this subject, as I was fortunate to avoid a C-section, but I wanted to let you know that sit-ups are NEVER a good idea for anyone trying to get their abs back after having a baby - unless of course you were one of the few who had no separation of your abdominals (Linea Alba) during pregnancy. Most people don't know this...I did sit-ups like crazy as soon as I was able, and I actually cause more damage to my abs. I was able to get them back together with a few months of the right exercises (ie- a semi-flat tummy again) You can read more about it here...or do a search on Separation of the Linea Alba

http://www.healthymomsnc.com/pilates.asp