Any ideas on what I can/should do to help a friend who just lost his mother today? It's the first time one of my best friends has lost a parent. Quite frankly, it hits very close to home. We knew the mom very well, as we've been friends for years (since college), are each other's children's godparents, and all (including grandparents) go on vacation to family camp each year. Makes me think about my own parents mortality.

I've called my friends and offerred my services for anything they need -- food, childcare, airport transportation, hotel accomodations, etc. Should I go ahead and just do anything? I'm not sure people always ask when they need help. I know when my daughter was in the hospital, I only asked for help with critical needs -- e.g. a few friends helped on transportation issues for the kids -- but I'm sure the loss of a loved one is a very different issue.

Thanks for any input you have. I'm a long time lurker and always value your advice. I'd hate to do or say anything wrong and I just want to be there to help in any way that I can. I'd drop anything and help them out anytime anyway I could.