Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default Different question: but what can you tell me about fireworks and our toddlers

I'm not talking about back yard fireworks, I am wondering if a 16 month old can handle firework displays at a nice sized scale. It just occured to me we are planning on joining a large group at the local park for Fireworks and it never occured to me till now to wonder if our little guys can tolerate such a thing.

We did do sesame street live and he did great with that activity so I wondered if you moms that have gone thru this before me have any advice...

Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

twins r fun Guest

Default RE: Different question: but what can you tell me about fireworks and our toddlers

We took the boys to fireworks last year (they were about 20 months). Caleb loved it and Jacob hated it, so I guess it depends on your kid! I will say that for weeks I regretted the decision because Jacob was up every single night with what I assume was nightmares. He also developed a fear of thunder then, too. I'm pretty sure we're skipping the fireworks this year! One thing you could try to do is make sure you are in a place where you can leave if Tristan doesn't like them. We really couldn't get out because of where we had parked so Jacob was stuck watching them and really was beside himself with fear.

bluej Guest

Default RE: Different question: but what can you tell me about fireworks and our toddlers

I agree that it depends on your child. Caden was absolutely traumatized by fireworks for years. He didn't care how pretty they were, he couldn't tolerate the noise and the physical boom you feel with those really big ones. Eventually he did get over it and now he loves them, but for several years (until he was four) he would have a meltdown if we were ever near fireworks. Alex on the other hand has never been bothered by them. And based on Ryden's crying fit over watching the kids beat a fish pinata, I'm going to guess that fireworks won't be his cup of tea for awhile.

We dont go because our children would melt down if they stayed up that late!
    We did see them at Disney and they were pretty cool!
    Valerie
    Mom to DD (7/01), DS (3/03) and "brother" (7/08)

We've always taken our kids and they've always enjoyed them. We always hype in advance that we're going to go see the pretty fireworks and hear them go BOOM. So far things have gone fine and the girls have loved them.

One year tho, we went with my sister and a friend who both expected their kids to be freaked out. The spent time putting in earplugs and saying "Now don't be scared". Both of their kids freaked out. Hello??
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

lmariana Guest

Gabe's first fireworks were at 4 months and he didn't even notice. :) Then at 7 months, he saw them again and really enjoyed them. I asked our pediatrician about the noise, and he said that if it's safe for us, it's safe for him.

I guess it just depends on the child though, some might find the loud noises scary, and other may love it. Only one way to find out!

Enjoy!

Mariana
    www.heinzandmariana.com
    Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Matthew loves them. When he went to Disney last year at 15 months, it was his favorite thing. We have him on video saying "Wow!"...lol...
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Buffys Mommy Guest

I have to agree that it depends on the child. Sarah loves fireworks. She's seen them at both Disneyworld and Disneyland a few weeks ago. She's also seen Fantasmic twice and loud noises definitely don't phase her yet. Fortunately for us, our city is having fireworks at a park right by our house, so we'll be staying home this year and enjoying them from the backyard.

If Tristan did so well at Sesame Street Live, I would think he would be okay. But like a PP stated - make it fun. "We're going to see the pretty fireworks and hear some booms" not, "Don't be scared." Have a great time!

Tammie
    Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default Thank you gals

He did well under the big top at Cirque de Soleil at four weeks so I hope he can do it...I will try and gret advice to park where we can exit if needed...

Thanks again ladies :)
    Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Last year Ds was 20 months and very scared. We went TO an all-day celebration (which he enjoyed) but had to leave once the fireworks started. Missed the mass-exodus traffic, though. =) The next night we were at home and the HUGE illegal display here, as well as the view of the local professional display made him nervous, but we just went inside our home and he was fine...however if we then went into the backyard to show him the display (far away) he wanted to go back inside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast