Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    votre_ami03 Guest

Default Nolan's Luau/1st birthday party!

Nolan's first birthday party is going to be a luau/beach party. Any suggestions for menu items, games, decor & fun are welcome. I know you ladies & gentlemen are great at this. :D

A couple of things I was thinking of:

Kid's party favors would be a beach pail & shovel filled w/Goldfish crackers, gummy sharks/fish, bubbles, cheezy sunglasses & maybe a few sea creatures.

One activity/game ideal was to fill a hard plastic swim pool w/sand & add "treasures" to it. Let the kid's dig through to each find a treasure?

I also have a large diving pool where I am sure most of the older kids will be hanging out in.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

kathsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Nolan's Luau/1st birthday party!

Christy,

What a fun theme! I like the idea of the pail and shovel instead of bags. A friend of mine had a pirate party for her DS when he turned 5 and she had a pool filled with sand and treasures. It was a big hit with the kids. I would make sure that someone is watching the children if they are all going to be Nolan's age or toddlers, because you don't want them to accidentally eat the sand or one of the treasures! :)

Do you have a Party City in your area? I have found that they have a lot of great supplies, and as you go in the front of the store, they have a display stand with flyers printed with party ideas for different themes (luau, fiesta, over the hill, etc) and they give you party supplies needed for that theme.

Also, go to the library and check out some books on parties for children. I did this and it was really helpful! I found a lot of ideas for beach party themes in some of the books. DD had a Little Mermaid party for her 4th birthday. I had set up an area where they could run through a flamingo sprinkler, a kiddie pool to splash in, a ball toss game, and then we had our playset as well. I served pizza and had cake. For drinks, I filled cooler with ice and had bottled water and juice boxes (apple, grape, and orange).

Good luck!

barbarhow Guest

Sounds like so much fun! How about a Limbo? At parties I've been at the older kids love it and the adults will usually go for it, too. Silly and fun.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Get an Oriental Trading catalog...they have tons of Luau stuff...

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    May '03

I'm envisioning kabobs with pineapple, perhaps ham and pineapple or pork tenderloin and pineapple. I actually have a recipe for pork, pineapple and red pepper kabobs if you are interested. You could also have a pineapple accented punch. The only thing about the sand pool with treasurers is that the kids might get dirty, especially little ones. I think the beach pail is very cool. You can get beach balls for under $1 usually, so that might be an addition too.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

I think it sounds perfect!!!!!
    Special attire for the day for pics would be on my list, but I suspect you have that covered :)...

What a great B-Day that will be!!!!
    Any pinatas near you that might have a fish theme or something...
    I can't wait for pics of this party!!!!
    Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

pritchettzoo Guest

Check them out online--their front page is luau stuff! And if you go through upromise, you get 6% back this month. I don't know if there's an ebates rebate; I just saw their site through a link from a upromise email.

www.orientaltrading.com

What a fun theme! :)

Anna

My girlfriend did this for her twins' first year b-day party and it was so much fun. I LOVE the idea of a treasure hunt and the party favors (she did the buckets too and they were a hit!) She also did the invitations by writing all the information on a beach ball and mailing it, so you blow it up and then see all the party info. She also had paper laterns hanging, and tiki torches, plus lots of water play--a baby pool ready for jumping in and a sprinkler going. And of course, her kids were wearing hawaiian shirts! :)

Be sure and post pics of the event. It sounds like a blast!

votre_ami03 Guest

Default Wow! Thanks for all of the great ideals!

I knew you all would be able to help me with this. These are great, keep 'em coming!

I love the beach ball invite. I may have to use that one next time. This year, I printed out an invite on regular paper, burned the edges, tea stained them & wrapped it scroll style & tied w/raffia. I was going to put them all in bottles w/a little sand & small shells too, but I pooped out. The center of the page was a beach shot of Nolan taken in Newport, but no one needs to know that. ;)

Tiki toches, hula skirts & lei's for everyone. :D

votre_ami03 Guest

I would love the recipe, if you don't mind!

I was thinking of serving a baked ham, but no one else seemed to like my ideal. Then, I was thinking barbeque pork &/or teryaki chicken? I think pork is a must though!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast