ismommy Guest

Default Are fried clams safe during pregnancy?

I am heading to the cape and am so excited to have New England seafood. From everything I read lobster is safe while pregnant. But what about whole fried clams? I knwo fried food isn't the greatest but I am craving them. I am pretty sure that fried clam strips would be okay but not sure about the whole ones with bellies. Nobody in NOVA even knows what I mean so I am hoping some New ENgland mommies will know. TIA

Default RE: Are fried clams safe during pregnancy?

Fried clams (whole or strips) were definately one of my pregnancy cravings. I probably had them once a week. I grew up down on the Cape and now live outside Boston and I have never heard of them being unsafe. I would just watch where I ordered them, make sure the place is clean. But we used to go to this great little "clam hut" for the best fried clams. Enjoy your trip and the clams :)
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also grew up on the Cape and am heading back there in a week for a visit. I have never heard of any problems with clams and pregnancy either! Eat up and have fun!

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

ismommy Guest

First thanks guys for the reasurance:)
    Jennifer - where will you be on the cape? We are there for two weeks and will be getting togther with Pam (toomanystrollers and some other BBB moms. In fact I think we are planning a Hanna run to kittery. Maybe you can join us?

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I pm'd you!

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

I just wanted to add one thing about lobsters since you mentioned it. I live in Central Mass. and when I was pregnant my ob/gyns mentioned that if I ate lobster just make sure they were from Maine and not from off of Mass. coast, I think especially New Bedford. I don't know if anyone else has been told that, but just thought I'd pass it along. As far as clams, I don't remember any warning about those.
    Stacey
    Mama to DS '03
    DD '06
    and DD '10

for Samuel

Kieransmom Guest

Mmmm....fried clams. That was a big pregnancy craving of mine too. I'm not a fried food eater but this was a weekly if not bi-weekly craving. That and corned beef and coleslaw on Rye bread. Boy I hope I don't crave them during my next pregnancy because the resturant that I would get them at (already cooked as opposed to frozen) changed hands and they no longer sell them. Yikes.

I questioned it too but I think my OB said it was fine. I was really scared about mercury and things like that because my cousin's son is severely Autistic and I was very parenoid about it.

Enjoy!!

Michelle
    Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]