Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gremlin44 Guest

Default Do disposable diapers "go bad/expire?"

(also posted in the diaper forum)

Odd question, I know....but do disposable diapers go bad/expire?

I just had a stillbirth at 36 weeks with my second son. I have two packages of Huggies newborn diapers--both of them already opened, so I can not return them. Due to the cause of the stillbirth (fundal uterine rupture) we do not know if we will be getting pregnant again (we want to) and if so, how long we would need to wait to allow my body to heal and recover.

With my first son I used Nature Boy and Girl biodegradable disposable diapers. I had noticed that unused diapers that sat in my diaper bag or in the pockets of my Pack and Play seemed to "go bad" after 3 or 4 months. I don't know if that is because they are biodegradable or because the ones in my diaper bag experienced all kinds of heat and cold or what.

Would Huggies go bad after a period of time? If we are not risked out of a future pregnancy, I can't see us needing these diapers before at least another 18 months pass. If they are going to "go bad" I'd like to take them to my midwives' office now and donate them so that they can be given to another patient who could use them.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Do disposable diapers "go bad/expire?"

I'm terribly sorry for your loss! My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. I hope you are able to heal physically from this soon.

To answer your diaper question, I have some newborn size Huggies, Pampers and White Clouds which have been sitting in my son's closet for about 22 months now. I just checked on them and they all seem just fine if I needed to use them now. I don't plan on using them for a couple more years yet myself, and I imagine they will still be good even then.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

brubeck Guest

I am currently using Pampers Cruisers on my son that I bought 2 years ago for my DD. Other than the stlye being outdated (they now have a different design and cut) they are the same as new.

I also have some older (size 1 and NB) diapers that I had leftover that my DD uses on her dolls/toys. They also seem fine although they have been out in the air for well over a year.

Frankly, I'm not even sure what you mean by 'go bad'. Perhaps it is a biodegradable thing.

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

First things first: I am so, so sorry for your loss. I will be thinking healing thoughts for you and sending prayer (if you don't mind).

Secondly: I work for the makers of Pampers/Luvs. I've heard that question before in the context of diapers sitting on the store shelves, and generally the answer is no, they will not go bad. In your case, I would store them in a cool dry place if you choose to keep them. Since there is gel that absorbs the urine present in the diaper, I would imagine that since the bags are open there's a possibility they could absorb a small amount of moisture out of the air if it were excessively humid-- no science to back me up, just a gut feel.

Again, thinking healing thoughts for you.

Edited to clarify.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

papal Guest

I don't know the answer but just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your loss. That is very sad. :(

stella is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm sure that your diapers will be fine for future use. I'm just so sorry for the loss of your son. I can't imagine how hard that would be on you and your family.

Be good to yourself. I am thinking of you.

jubilee Guest

I am really sorry for the loss of your little one.

As for the diapers, I bought packs of diapers a few years before I had my youngest son and they were totally fine. I simply kept them under my bed. They weren't opened packages though. Maybe stick them in ziplock bags?

Again, I am so sorry. I will be praying for the healing of your heart and body.

babymama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Lydia
    Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/041116/0/6/1/-6/.png

cinrein Guest

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope your body and heart heal quickly.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

Kieransmom Guest

I don't know anything about the diapers expiring, but I just wanted to tell you how very very sorry I am to hear about your loss. I really don't know what to say other than I am terribly sorry.

Michelle
    Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast