Thread: BJ's

Jen in Chicago Guest

Default BJ's

We are in temp housing right now, and there is a BJ's close by. I am going to stop to see if I can get a trial membership since we are unsure as to where are going to live. I am an experienced Costco Shopper, what is different with BJ's?

rrosen is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: BJ's

I belong to both BJ's and Costco. I think that Costco has better fresh and prepared foods. I prefer the meat and seafood from Costco.

BJ's is better for other things. I think they offer more variety in some baby related areas. For instance, they have several different kinds of wipes. My Costco only carries Pampers popups and Kirkland brand.

Also, BJ's takes different credit cards (Amex only at Costco) and accepts manufacture coupons.

kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree with Rebecca. I just finished a 2-month trial at BJs, and have been to Castco many times with my MIL. But I've never bought a membership. From what I've seen though, my vote's with Costco. But do the free trial - nothing to lose, right? Have fun!

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My experience is that all of warehouse clubs have something unique about them which is why people join more than 1. A few of the things I like about BJs is that they accept coupons, they carry greeting cards (at 50% off) and they also carry more baby stuff than the other clubs. I don't use baby food anymore, but when I did we bought it there by the case. You can use more than 1 coupon when you buy something that is packaged with multiple units together which is nice.

I definitely agree that Costco has the best prepared foods.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

We go to BJ's here and love it. Besides the other reasons mentioned by pp, ours here have gas stations! I fill up when needed at BJs because it does save me at least 5 cents a gallon. With the way gas prices are these days, every penny helps. I also like the BJ brand wipes and buy the Tyson frozen chicken breast there. Costco does seem better in terms of prepared foods, etc.. but our choices here are really Sam's or BJ's. Costco is too far for me to go to.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)