kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default UPDATE - MAINE! MAINE! MAINE!

UPDATE - Maine, here we come! DH accepted a job offer today from a firm in the Old Port. We hope to be there around 10/1! Obviously things are a bit insane here, but we're so excited about this big change! Hope to meet you Maine BBBers this fall!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all! Hope you've had a nice holiday weekend. I'm shouting out to all you Mainers on the boards. I'll take a moment to direct you to my year-old post on this topic:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ng_type=search

We're back at it again, but a) now I AM a SAHM, and b) DH has a job offer!! So now we are getting very serious on this subject. Thanks to ktdid74 and barbarhow for their insights (old and new) so far. I'd appreciate any thoughts folks might have on living in the Portland area, no matter how general or specific - cost-of-living, weather, quality of life, SAHM/family stuff, cities/towns you like/don't like.........ETC!

MANY thanks!!

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: MAINE! MAINE! MAINE!

Katie, I was just cleaning out my e-mail earlier today and realized I never answered your yahoo group e-mail you sent. I am so sorry! I live in Kennebunk, so we are a bit south of Portland. I will e-mail you pronto. CYE!

Susan

jasabo Guest

I went to school in Portland and lived there for 3 yrs - graduated in 2001 then we moved away, so it's been a few years since I was there.

We lived in Yarmouth, which I really liked. It's a small town about 15 minutes north of Portland. Very quaint. We actually rented a house on an island (had a bridge to get there, so wasn't TOO isolated :)) - I really loved that and miss it a lot. The house was old and small, but we lived on a dead-end road that ended in a dock on the ocean - fabulous!!!

Cost of living is pretty high. We moved there from the DC area (Northern VA) where cost of living is pretty high, and we figured it'd be better in ME, but we were way off. Housing is much different too - hard to find nice places and they're expensive. When we were there I think there was only a 1% vacancy rate in rentals.

Winters are LOOOOOOONG!! We had BIG snowstorms in April! If you like snow, you'll love Maine (I don't, so it was tough for me). The beaches are great and very pretty, but the water stays pretty chilly even in the summer. Portland's a pretty laid-back, liberal area. Not much night life and there's not a huge selection for restaurants, shopping, etc. Depending on where you live now, it could be a big culture shock to you. The waterfront area is really nice and fun. Good restaurants and cute shops.

My experience with Maine is that you either love living there, or you hate it and leave - very extreme perceptions. There's no in-between. It's a very unique place - I've traveled a lot and never really encountered anywhere like it in terms of people and way of life. Have you been there yet? If not, definitely go visit for a week or two to get a good feel for it. For us - I enjoyed going to school there, and LOVED living on the water and I miss the scenery - it's really beautiful. But I was pretty happy to move when I graduated. Dh couldn't pack the boxes fast enough - he's a big city guy :) Like I said, it's not for everyone, but the people who like living in ME can't even imagine living anywhere else.

Please email me with any questions. I'd be happy to talk more to you about it.

Lisa - mom to 11 month old twin boys

ktdid74 Guest

Whoo-Hoo- Come to Maine :)
    Cost- has to be cheaper than Boston, right?
    Weather- now that summer is FINALLY coming, it's beautiful. Downside- too many bugs. Winter seems to last too long but I'm sure that's no different than Mass.
    I know there are plenty of playgroups, etc. but hey, if Barbara and I get our acts together, we can have our own Maine BBB playgroup- you too, Susan!
    Towns- I like Gorham, Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth and Falmouth ($$) which are all close to Portland but out of the "big city" :)
    I swear the biggest downside for me in Maine is the lack of bigcity shopping and restaurants (I'm still homesick for Dallas).
    Keep us posted!!

kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the inputs, ladies!! Much appreciated. I may be swinging up there Saturday to poke around a bit. I've spent most of my life in the Boston area, and am generally familiar with the Portland area, but I might drive around some specific towns and neighborhoods to get a better feel.

Any one else who'd like to chime in, feel free!

ktdid74 Guest

Default RE: UPDATE - MAINE! MAINE! MAINE!

Whoo-Hoo! I'm so excited for you! At least you'll be moving during a pretty part of the year! Can't wait for our first BBB-Maine get together. Congrats to DH on his new job, too. I know Mackenzie can't wait to meet Charlie! Take care and email if you need any help with getting settled :)

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OH I LOVE MAINE! What an exciting move (and just in time to settle before winter hits :)).
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

mattysmom Guest

No one has mentioned that you'll be within 30 minutes of the Hanna outlet in Kittery!!! I am jealous!