Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default if you were "rich" what would you give as a baby gift?

i mean, if money were no object. if you didn't even have to look at the price tag or the total cost.

i would LOVE to go out and buy a basket full of all the little "must have" stuff that we, personally, couldn't have lived without. like what i think is THE BEST diaper cream, outlet plug cover, bib, toy, crib sheet, etc etc etc.

i would want to share my "expertise" on my fav items, like:

-several brands of pacifiers so you can find the right one
    -all the saftey items-plug covers, drawer/cabinet latches, corner covers for tables...
    -avent bottles for EBM
    -the bath sponge
    -tons of washcloths
    -tons of CUTE burpeys
    -the sally huss (wal mart) bibs for eating solids
    -waterproof backed soft bibs for infants
    -platex sippy cups that don't leak! and have a way to attach the no-leak valve to the cup lid in the diswasher so you don't lose it
    -a gorgeous, WAHM diaper bag (maybe filled with all this stuff!)
    -pottery barn kids crib sheets
    -thin flannel BIG blankets for swaddling
    -more than one waterproof matress pad
    -more than one changing pad cover
    -burts's bees products for bath and diaper changes
    -fold over socks that STAY ON
    -long sleeved onesies (kinda hard to find)
    -tiny love and lamaze infant toys
    -and those precious, precious, yummy fabric loveys or blankets made by "boutique" brands like little giraffe

if i got a "big" thing, it would be a dreamer designs deluxe jogger or a kelty backpack for active friends, a beautiful basinett (i was so excited to loan ours to some friends, who are loving it right now!), or a load of WAHM products for my "natural" friends like a diaper bag, a sling, some cloth diapers all in one package.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: if you were "rich" what would you give as a baby gift?

Wow! Great list! If money were no object, I would also add a front loader washer/dryer, especially if they were going to CD, but even if they weren't, their amount of laundry is about to at least double (I know ours has!).

For some smaller things, I would also add the miracle blanket and for the fold over socks that actually stay on, I would recommend the MaryJane Trumpette Socks for a girl or any other Trumpette Socks if it were a boy.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
    born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

bluej Guest

Hmmm, that's a tough one. An entire Hanna layette? Oh wait, that would be no fun for the mommy-to-be as I'm sure she would want to shop for the layette. A variety of slings/baby carriers b/c no one carrier can do it all! Except IRL I only have two baby-wearing friends, so that would be a wasted gift for the most part. Maybe a decked out moses basket. I know lots of mommies who would love one but see it as nonessential since it only gets used for a couple of months. So yeah, that's what I would give. Something they want, but don't need, but would appreciate. And of course a baby outfit b/c I wouldn't be able to resist!

jasabo Guest

Hmmmm - I think I'd spring for an on-demand nanny service. I'd pay the nanny up front for like 6 months and she'd be on-call for any time the parents wanted her. That way, they could use her 24/7 if they wanted, or just occasionally. I would have LOVED something like that. Also, I'd pay for a house cleaning service for like 6 months. Oh, and I'd buy the mom a spa gift certificate for a day of massages, mani's, pedi's, facials...ahhhhhh....

Ok, why didn't I have any rich friends that could have given me gifts like that? :)

Lisa - mom to 14 month old twin boys

lisa-

if you ever happen to get rich, i would really like to be your friend, LOL!!!! :)

everyone is posting such great ideas!!! a washer/dryer! way to think outside of the box, eileen!!!!
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

mharling Guest

I would give a 'toy a month basket' with the toys that Lane has loved most each month from birth to 1st birthday.

ETA - Here's what I've thought about already....
    1 - Mirror
    2 - Fisher Price Aquarium
    3 - LaMaze Caterpillar
    4 - Baby Einstein Floor Mat
    5 - LaMaze Aquarium
    8 - Peek-A-Blocks
    9 - Discovery Stacking Cups
    10- LeapStart Learning Table
    12- PlaySkool Old McDonald tractor

Mary
    Lane - April 2003
    Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There's a woman locally who acts as a post-partum doula. Basically she will show up at your house and do things for YOU (laundry, cooking, errands, footrubs, whatever!) so you can focus on your baby. For what she does, she's not that expensive, but it's still $10 an hour.

I would pre-purchase 20-40 hours from her, plus a cleaning service, plus 5 in-home visits from a really good LC.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 14 months and counting

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love the "toy a month" idea! That's great! Plus, it's not too far out of the realm of possibility...

Hey, I just noticed, what happened to #s 6, 7, and 11? As the mommy of a 6 month old, I MUST know! :)

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm going to copy your gift b/c I was thinking about suggesting a post-partum doula by herself. Why not throw in maid service and visits from an LC? I mean, what's a little more money?

Anyway, I would have loved to have someone who knows about new moms and new babies *make* me sleep when possible and let other people take care of the (most likely) sleeping baby. I always felt like that was my job to do. Too late, I realized that I really needed to look after myself, too. That's why I'd "gift" a post-partum doula.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not sure if it's the "best" toy for a 6 or 7 month old, but DD really enjoys her learning table already. And she also loves playing with those take 'n toss sippy cups (with a little ice water in it). I don't know if this falls in the category of "toy" but on her 6 month b-day, I gave her the stuffed lamb that has become her lovey in her crib. (She has a bunny one for on the go that I originally wanted her to use as a crib lovey, but it's blanket-like and she keeps pulling it over her face when she's sleeping, which made me nervous.)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
    born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast