Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    marit is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Small Gift ideas to bring for mom and new baby at hospital?

The best thing I got was a take out of my favorite sushi. I love sushi, but didn't eat any when I was pg. I was drooling all over it...
    Marit

Mom to DD Ballerina, 2003
    and DS Superhero, 2005
    and DD CurlyQ, 2009

Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.
    Herein lies the peace of God.

quikeye Guest

Definitely food! :) I still can't believe how much hospital food I ate, and wished there was something a little better!

Or, maybe a nice small scented soap/shampoo/etc. I felt like such heaven washing the 1st time (in a hospital shower, no less!) after DS' birth... having some special soaps and stuff made it feel even better (less antiseptic/hospitalish).

Yay for new babies :)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

LOL! Your are too funny. Here it is:

Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

(This is actually my mother-in-law’s recipe)

2 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 bananas
    1/3 cup buttermilk
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon vanilla

1 3/4 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare an 8x4 or 9x5 loaf pan by coating with oil. (I like to use a non-stick pan lightly coated with a cooking spray like Pam.)

Beat the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in bananas one at a time. Add other liquids and mix together. Sift together all the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips). Add dry ingredients to liquids. Beat just until mixed. Be careful not to over mix. If desired, add chocolate chips, folding into batter with a couple quick strokes. Pour batter into pan. Bake in pre-heated oven for about 50 minutes until bread is nicely browned and pulls away from sides of pan. Turn out onto wire rack to cool. Makes one loaf.

(I have made this into pumpkin bread by substituting one cup of canned pumpkin for the bananas. I then usually add some cinnamon and nutmeg also.)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

JLiebCamm Guest

The nicest thing that anyone did for me right after I got home from the hospital was to bring a week's worth of prepared meals for my freezer. One less thing to worry about definitley helped!

shartemink Guest

I also recommend the food suggestion. Friends brought us pizza from Dominos & it was perfect!! And hubby could enjoy it also. Another idea is to bring a small "birth-day" cake for the baby :)
    Looks like you have a lot of good ideas to choose from!
    Sam

I agree, food and snacks are good ideas. I also like to scented soap idea.

My Dad brought champagne. It was really nice to have a little toast! Sparkling cider is good, too.

I usually try to bring an oversized, soft, stretchy, comfy pair of flannel or jersey pajama pants. After ds was born, I lived in pajama pants and a Bravado nursing bra for months. :) Places like Goody's and Marshall's, etc often have cute pajamas for not much money.

What about a book that you found helpful in those first months? Books I'd consider include "The Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood", "The Happiest Baby on the Block", and various breastfeeding handbooks.

If mama is breastfeeding, a tube of Lansinoh lanolin is great (assuming her hospital doesn't provide one).

A nice photo album might be good, too.
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3