Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    s_gosney Guest

Default Tailbone pain post-delivery

Okay, my butt has been killing me for months now and I've got to know if anyone else has been through this or has any ideas. I was skinny pre-pregnancy and am back to maybe even a little thinner than before (don't throw anything at me please! :)). Anyway, just wondering if there's a possibility of something being truly wrong...like should I call my doctor or what? DH says I need to just gain some weight. I tried to explain to him that I gladly would if the first 10 pounds would go straight to provide a tailbone cushion, but unfortunately it would just go to my thighs. :)

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Tailbone pain post-delivery

I would definitely call the doctor - especially if you have had this pain for months. Maybe you need to have an xray??? If nothing is found in the xray, then maybe physical therapy can help. You definitely have more endurance than me...I would have called the doctor after one week :)

I had back labor with my DS and I he actually broke my tailbone according to my OB. It hurt worse than anything else after delivery, and I tore pretty bad also. When I would stand up from sitting I could hear it make a cracking noise. It is better now, but it occasionally still makes a loud noise when I stand up. I didn't do anything for it other than take ibuprofen. It's one of those things that has to heal on it's own. I know mine was feeling better after a couple of months though. Maybe go have it checked out.

Jeanmick Guest

After I delivered my DD, my bottom was so sore! I could not sit well at all. The Boppy was used for my sorry butt instead of my kiddo :)! I didn't know what was wrong with me since it was my first time having a baby. I saw all these other women walking/running (well, maybe not running :P ) around shortly after their delivery and here I was still not able to drive or sit well, climb or go down the stairs. I was stuck upstairs in our bedroom for a full month because it was too painful to go up and down the stairs. I did not fully recover until about six months or so after I had my DD. My girlfriend said the same thing happened to her and it was because her tailbone was bruised during delivery. I truly believe that was what happened to me. When I had my second child, I didn't have a problem at all and I was up and about within a couple of days.

I'd just check in with your PCP or OB/GYN to see if a bruised tailbone may be the reason why you're in so much pain. I TOTALLY know what you're going through. Hang in there...

COElizabeth Guest

You might also see a chiropractor. I have heard that it's fairly common to push the tailbone out of alignment during labor and delivery, and a few chiropractic adjustments might solve the problem.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
    EDD #2, 10-30-04

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've had tailbone pain prebaby that just went away after a couple of months, I went to the Dr and they did the usual 'come back if it doesn't go away'.

It just came back about 2 months ago and I'm not sure why, I didn't do anything to damage it recently, DD was born 18 months ago so I doubt it was that, although that is the most common cause.

I've been looking at some websites about it which say its pretty common thing and some peoples coccyx just get unaligned and I have the symptoms they describe, like its worse sitting on a soft surface and hurts going from sitting to standing. The pain seems to be going away now so I'm not sure if I'm even going to see the Dr this time.

Here I some links that I found interesting, I'd definitely get it checked out if you are worried.

http://www.coccyx.org/
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...coccydynia.htm

Lucy DD 3/03

s_gosney Guest

All very helpful!
    Lucy, those links you posted are informative too. The times I experience most discomfort are when I sit too long at the computer, so I've been adding more and more cushion to the chair. I guess from what the second site says though, that's actually making it worse. I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and go find a donut pillow. :) That has to be better than the coccyx manipulation though...yikes! I'm not sure why that seems intimidating even after childbirth, but it just does not sound like something I want to go through...

I had a bruised/cracked tailbone from a rapid delivery. I asked my chiropractor about it as well as my midwife at my 6 week checkup. For me, I felt the treatment would be more traumatic than the injury (internal manipulation by the OB) and I waited it out. The chiro did normal lower back and hip adjustments as well as massage and u/s. The pain was gone shortly thereafter, but will recur if I sit funny or for long periods of time, but it goes away by the next AM. I also took anti-inflammatory drugs (advil, etc.), which helped. I also found mild pelvic exercises (tilting, stretching) to help. Good luck!
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also bruised/broke (who knows?) my tailbone delivering my first ds. He was in a posterior position (face facing up rather than down) and I pushed for 3 hours before having a c/s. Within a couple of days, I realized what hurt the most was my butt, not my tummy. I could hardly walk or sit, and yes, getting up from sitting was the absolute worst.

He's almost 4 and to this day, it still hurts me. It took a good year to improve at all, then it did some, and got worse again with my 2nd pregnancy. Now, it doesn't hurt very often but sitting on the bathroom floor giving kids a bath is a killer.

Funny how you never hear about these things til they happen to you, huh? I'm surprised to hear how common this is.

Kristen
    Paolo 11-00
    Benjamin 8-03

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Chiropractor, chiropractor! It makes a world of difference.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast