trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default WAAAAAY OT question about job interview

I had an interview with an organization in April, just days after DD's birth. It was for a non-profit dealing with civic involvement. It's right up my alley. Between one thing and another, they have postponed hiring someone until this week. I'm in the final few coming in for 2nd interviews.

When I had my original interview, I was planning on going back to my old job. I did go back, but I only last a few weeks before I quit. Since then, I've really been enjoying staying home, but we're getting pretty broke and I need to get back to work. (Plus, my DH works for someone who's up for re-election this year. While we think he'll win, this is always a nervous time for us.) This is one of the few jobs I would not think twice about taking.

I left my last job for the following reasons:

1) I had a crazy, micromanaging boss,
    2) The focus of the organization had shifted in a direction I was not comfortable working toward,
    3) Upper management had gotten much more adverserial in dealing with opposition,
    4) The focus of my work had gotten much more narrow,
    and most importantly,
    5) I wanted to stay home.

So, after all that, here's my question - If they ask why I left, what do I tell them? The non-profit I used to work for is considered here to be very, very liberal and controversial, and the organization I want to work for is non-partisan and actively avoids controversy. 4 out of 6 Board members are conservative, and the other 2 are acquaintances whom I'm pretty sure are supporting me for this position.

Thanks for plowing through this long-winded email! I would appreciate any advice!

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

josephmama Guest

Default RE: WAAAAAY OT question about job interview

As a former career counselor I will try to give you some advice- but there is no one answer so keep that in mind. One thing to try to remember though is to never blame your leaving/failure/whatever on another person, even if deserved, in an interview. No matter the truth you will come off sounding negative. So focus on what you would LIKE to do as opposed to what you don't want to do or what you didn't like. I would stay away from characteristics of your boss and management from your last job. You can always talk about your family commitments (although you do not have to bring up marriage or kids and they should not ask- illegal question, but if it helps your cause and you know they're ok with small children then you can talk about needing to be with your kids when they were newborns, etc). You can talk about they type of work you want to do, the type of environment you enjoy/thrive in, how you enjoy working with different opinions, how you like the big picture, etc. By saying what you LIKE and work well in, assuming it fits with the new job's environment and responsibilities, you will make your point and they can read between the lines without you coming across negative.

So that was long-winded but try to think of some interview questions and how you can respond in those terms. Does that help? Good luck!

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: WAAAAAY OT question about job interview

Number 2 sounds like a very good reason to give. It suggests you'd be happier at the new job, without saying anything bad about your former employers.

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Thank you!

It ended up being much easier than I feared. The Board member who helped with the interview was someone I know and like. When I got there she asked me about Eleanor and said, "I bet it was really hard going back to such a negative job when you knew you had your precious girl at home." To which I was able to say, "Absolutely. That's why I'm so excited about this position and all the good things done by this organization."

Wish me luck. I should know by the end of the week!

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Thank you!

Good luck! Sounds like your interview went well, and I think you said just the right thing. :)

josephmama Guest

Default RE: Thank you!

Ditto- you said it beautifully! Good luck!