Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AvasMama Guest

Default CIO -- How long does it take the first night???

If you did CIO, how long did your baby cry the first night? Ava has been crying for over an hour now. It is so hard, esp. since I am very reluctant to do this at all :(

Robyn & Ava

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: CIO -- How long does it take the first night???

Well, my son cried for close to two ... please don't judge, he was 14 mos old at the time and I was at the end of my rope.

It took quite a few weeks, some nights better than others and quite a few tears (on both our parts). Good news is now he goes down prettily easily, though still an EARLY riser (between 4 - 5 am).

It will get better ... and you will both move on from what seems endless.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, I also hope no one will judge me, but DD cried on and off for maybe 4 hours total the first night, but she did sleep in between--it was maybe 4 hours out of 8? I need to check my log, but it definitely got better the second night. And she woke up the next morning all smiles, so I know she was okay.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

CBB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Hi Robyn,

How old is your baby? We actually just started doing CIO. I posted 2-3weeks ago about whether to CIO or not. There is really no right answer. I've been reading Dr. Weisbluth's Healthy sleepy habits. DD at 6.5mo still needs to be rocked to sleep and has been waking up every 1.5-2hr crying. So finally we decided to let her CIO. The first night (it was Sep22) she cried for 1hr and 35min and fell asleep. The second night was 45min. But from then on it was about 20 every night for the next 2wks. We thought we were doing something wrong since I read and heard that usually it took people about a wk. Then we started to let her CIO for her naps (she takes 20-30min naps; we had to pick her up at least 3times for a 2hr nap). That day, she cried the whole 40min for two of her naps and never fell asleep. She slept for a total of 2hr all her naps combined that day. She was so cranky and fussy. The moment we put her down to let her play she would start to cry. I thought that she was traumatized and completely sleep deprived. I felt so horrible about it. So we stopped letting her CIO for naps. Now we would usually just rock her for few min before her bedtime. If she doesn't fall asleep, we would just put her down. She still cried 15min tonight. Oh I forgot to mention that she still wakes up several times a night. I try to let her cry for few min if I know she's not hungry. We are still working on it.

Every baby is different. If you have a easy baby(unfortunately not our DD), it doesn't take long for CIO to work. I believe the key is to be consistant, do the same routine every night.

I wish you best of luck and hope this works out for you.

Keep us posted. I would love to know how Ava does.

Li
    Baby Jasmine 3/18/04
    Baby Justin 9/18/07

Java is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I also have a marathon crier - ranges from 2-3.5 hours then I cave in and rock him.

He doesn't cry the whole time - he'll stop and play with his zipper tag, half-heartedly makes the crying noise (ughh, ughhh, ughhh) but not really cry, babble to himself...then he'll remember that he's supposed to be crying and it starts all over.

The first night we used Ferber went pretty well (2 weeks ago). He cried up until just before the 15 minute check in then he fell asleep. DH and I were shocked - we were anticipating a 3 hour ordeal. But then we remembered that he didn't nap that afternoon and he didn't sleep the night before so he was exhausted. That helped a lot in setting the stage for us.

The second night - he hit the 15 minute mark twice then fell asleep. Third night, 10 minute mark. Now some nights are better than others but the overall situation is a whole heck of a lot better than what it was last month.

He goes to sleep fine (I still nurse to sleep - our problem was nighttime waking), and if he wakes up then he'll cry for 5 minutes then fall back asleep. Sometimes he'll actually sit up, look around for 10 minutes, makes some noises then lays back down.

It's the naps that we're having problems with!

Good luck - I thought Kael wasn't ever going to sleep through the night and that he was not cut out for Ferber. Luckily we worked through it and things are looking better.

AvasMama Guest

Thanks everyone! Ava will be 9 months on Friday. Up until about 6 months old, she was a great sleeper at night and would go to sleep right away and stay asleep for 5-6 hours, wake to nurse, then sleep another 4-5 hours. Then she got an ear infection and has been a terrible sleeper ever since, waking 2-3 times a night to nurse and I would have to lay down with her to get her to sleep. In the last few weeks, even that hasn't been working and she hasn't been falling asleep until around 10 (after lots of fussing), so that is why we decided to CIO finally.

Last night, she cried for about an hour and a half, fell asleep, woke about 30 min. later and cried another 15 min. or so before falling back asleep. She woke up to nurse about 4 hrs. later, then cried for about 5 min. before she fell back to sleep, and slept 3 hours. So that is a little progress. I am hoping she'll be better tonight.

Naps are a whole other story. She was horrible about naps until about two months ago. Then one morning when she was sleepy, I put her in her crib awake to see what would happen. She fell asleep with no crying and slept almost two hours! I tried it again the next morning and it worked again! So now I put her down around 9 and 1 every day and she falls asleep on her own and sleeps for 1-2 hours. Sometimes she will fuss a little, but mostly she babbles to herself for a few minutes, then goes to sleep. Now to get the nighttime to go as smoothly!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!
    Robyn & Ava

Jen in Chicago Guest

It honestly gets better, and you will appreciate your investment. For us the time was about 1/2 the previous night until it stopped in 3 or 4 nights. Now if he wakes he cries for less than 5 minutes. He plays in his bed at bedtime and is happy about going there now. I do think a dark room helps, and he has a blanket and his Monkey (no pun intended) to play with.

When he goes to bed now he sings and talked to himself for up to 30 minutes. I am guilty of sitting outside the room and listening to his happy noises, but I wish he was sleeping during that time! I like the happy noises, but want him to sleep that additional 30 minutes!

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only mother who did CIO and who apparently has a baby who is sometimes a marathon crier! There are definitely days when I question whether we should be doing it, especially if she seems to have one bad night. But I know milestones and all sorts of things can interfere with their sleep, so I have to remember to be consistent over time! This week, the disruption is that she no longer has a fan on in her room (white noise) because it's been so much cooler in her room. So I think she's adjusting to being able to hear all the noises around her room. We're going to give it a week, though, to see if she can adjust to sleeping without white noise. She does seem to be doing better after 3 days, so we'll see.

After 3 months of sleep training, I will say that she still has her bad days, but overall, she is sleeping soooo much better than before the sleep training and seems far less cranky during the day that I know we made the right decision for us.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

simba Guest

Dear Li
    1) What do you do when she wakes up at night and you know she is not hungry? Just CIO for however long it takes?
    2) After hom many hours do you decide she can be hungry, thus feed her?

My son is 4 months and wakes up every three hrs at night. We are reding Weissbluth too. We tried CIO last night and after 45 minutes I couldn't take it and picked him up and nursed him...I know it was wrong to give up on our part, it was just sooo hard. I feel it will never work, I feel he will cry forever.... and I am so tired....
    Silvana
    mom of Luca
    May 30, 2004

simba Guest

Hey ladies....
    I do want to sleep and I want Luca (4 mo.) to sleep, so I think I really need to CIO. But I've tried twice and was not able to, I ended up picking him up....Have you ever heard of a baby who will not stop crying? A baby for which CIO will not work? Or is it always a success? I am so scared but I really need to do something about it....
    Please help. I feel things will never change and my Luca will never sleep.
    Thanks
    Silvana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast