Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Question for Moms of taller/heavier babies.....

We get this a lot too, and it is the only part of having a tall baby that bugs me. I hate it when people comment that he should be talking in sentences, etc., because he is only 17 months! Charlie is really tall. If DH is with us, I just point at him (he's 6'4") and people usually let it go.

What bothers me even more is when I'm shopping for clothes, and the salesperson butts in and tells me I'm shopping for the wrong size. I was looking for 2T pants the other day, and when I told her it was a 16 month old, she told me not to buy that large, since the brand ran big. I told her he was 34" at his 15 month appointment, and she told me that wasn't possible. Hello, it is MY child - I know how tall he is!!!

wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We get this a lot too, and it is the only part of having a tall baby that bugs me. I hate it when people comment that he should be talking in sentences, etc., because he is only 17 months! Charlie is really tall. If DH is with us, I just point at him (he's 6'4") and people usually let it go.

What bothers me even more is when I'm shopping for clothes, and the salesperson butts in and tells me I'm shopping for the wrong size. I was looking for 2T pants the other day, and when I told her it was a 16 month old, she told me not to buy that large, since the brand ran big. I told her he was 34" at his 15 month appointment, and she told me that wasn't possible. Hello, it is MY child - I know how tall he is!!!

Misha412 Guest

Thanks all -- you really helped me put things into perspective! Sometimes I just think that because of my own body image issues I am oversensitive to this topic, whether it's addressed to me, or my wonderful DS. What is that great saying, something about "The decision to have a baby is the choice to let your heart walk around outside your body" -- it's so true!

Have a great day everyone with your beautiful XS, S, M, L & XL babies!!!

Michele
    Mommy to Gavin, 12/4/03

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

I haven't read the other responses...
    but no I do not mind...I though don'r erally take offense to much "no brainer off the cuff comments" where people are really just trying to strike up a conversation.

I told a gal recently who adopted from Russia, "Oh he must be in the top of the charts for weight and height" he looked clearly healthy and happy and well adjusted (which I also said)...and she said "no actually he is off the charts on the low side"...

HEck what I do I know...in hindsight a stupid thing to say I guess but it seemed flattering in the quick conversation...

the flip side of strangers stopping talking to other stranger with this "no brainer off the cuff comments" is that the world will be one where non of us talk, smile at eachother, hold the door for eachother etc...

It's just that "chit chat" for the most part...
    Just my opinion...
    Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
    * EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
    * DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

Sarah1 Guest

Just wanted to add that this hasn't ever bothered me. I like having a child who's on the big/tall side! I would much rather hear "Wow, she's a big girl" than "your DD/DS is really tiny". I understand your sensitivity, though. :)

It doesn't bother me because I think people are generally just trying to be friendly and make conversation. Except one time when a woman glanced at him sideways and just muttered, "He's fat." I honestly wanted to punch her in the face. But 99.9 percent of the time it's said in a nice way. I will say that now I generally don't comment on a child's size just because I'm pretty sure the parent has heard it a million times.

gour0 Guest

I agree with some of the people who said that people just 'say this'. My ds is small, like 3rd %, and people are always saying how BIG he is. I think that most people lack perspective when it comes to kids. So, unless you child is standing next to several other kids of the same age, then people have no clue what is big, small, average, whatever.... They just say something, anything, to make conversation, I think. But, I usually correct people anyway. I'm not sure why I do it. I know I'm never going to see them again, but I'm just a stickler for detail, I guess!

newbelly2002 Guest

I'm right with you, Lori! I'm 5'3" and Dante is currently 37.5" (that's, what, about 3'2 or so?). And with a papa who is 6'3", I'm counting the days.

I don't mind the size comments. Not everyone feels comfortable saying something about eye or hair or skin coloring. Size seems pretty neutral. In fact, they may well think that's what the Mama *wants* to hear. To me it's all about the intention behind the comment. Insensitive or rude comments bug me but if it's just someone trying to be nice, well, heck I'll take that where I can get it!

Like you, I'd rather they notice Dante for something than not notice at all.

Paula
    Mama to Dante, 8/02

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

It generally doesn't bug me. DS is 90th for both height and weight. What gets me is when people inquire how he got that big, when looking at DH and me. I am 5'4" and DH is 5'5", so we're not big people! Somewhere in our families there is a tall person, but we're not it.

I figure people just want to say something and stature is easy to comment on. I'm sure it'll change eventually.
    Kris

papal Guest

I must admit that I am guilty of this. Just yesterday there was another mom with a cute baby in the camera store. So i asked 'how old is your baby? she is so cute". And she replied " one year old" and I said "wow, she is so tall!". I meant nothing bad by it really, i just have a PEANUT baby and am always amazed when i see other babies her age who are so much taller, you know? I guess i always get the 'she is so TINY' and yesterday there was a lady at the airport who even said 'what a midget midget midget'.. but i know she did not mean to be mean or anything.

i guess i am rambling but honestly i think people (like me) say these things as either conversation starters or just because their baby is a different size, you know?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2