ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Bright red belly button - what to do?

Help - not sure what to do about this one. After drying DS off tonight after his bath, I noticed that his belly button is bright red. It LOOKS painful, but he seems fine. It didn't seem to bother him when I touched it, and it's not seeping or anything - just red. So I folded down the top of his diaper so it wouldn't be touching it, and got him dressed for bed.

He's been really fussy the past couple days, but I chalked it up to teething. He has no other redness anywhere, and he was giggling before bedtime, so he doesn't seem to be in pain. This has never happened before.

Has this happened to anyone before? DH and I decided to wait and see how it looks in the morning, but I'm still a little worried.

TIA!
    Erin

DS1 2/04
    DS2 5/06
    DD 10/09

quikeye Guest

Default RE: Bright red belly button - what to do?

I don't have any advice for you, but *bumping* to the top to see if anyone else does...

(I'm sure babe will be fine! Best wishes...)

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: Bright red belly button - what to do?

This happened to my DS a few months ago. My DH thought it was an infection but the pediatrician said it looked like diaper rash + to treat it as such. We kept the area clean + dry + applied a little bit of Triple Paste.

Jenn
    DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Update - Looks much better

Thanks for your feedback! It looks much better this morning, so we're going to continue keeping it clean and dry, and monitor it. I'm relieved that it no longer looks like an infection. Yay!
    Erin

DS1 2/04
    DS2 5/06
    DD 10/09