Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JLiebCamm Guest

Default How long can I stay dilated at three centimeters???

So I had my first internal exam today (36 weeks) and the midwife said that I was 75% effaced and 3 cm dilated. Then she said, "There's a good chance that you'll be having a 2004 baby". Now I know from others' experience that you can go around for weeks dilated at 3, so I'm not exactly packing my bags. But since I never saw 3 cm until I was well into labor with Nate, this is very exciting. So I'm just curious, for those of you who dilated early, how long did it go on for? Do you think there's still a good chance that I'll make it to my due date? (Which wouldn't be a bad thing with all the crazy holiday plans, believe me.)

RwnMayfair Guest

Default RE: How long can I stay dilated at three centimeters???

Hmmm, I spent about two weeks at three centimeters, maybe three. (I don't remember if it was two or three weeks before Taran was born that my midwife told me I was 3 centimeters.) Taran was also a week late though.

But as my midwife would point out pretty much everytime I saw her, "You could go into labor tonight, or he could be late. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying." That's probably not very helpful for you, but hopefully things will work out well for you! Here's wishing you perfect timing for the baby.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif - Twelve months and counting!

kthomp Guest

I was 3cm and 100% effaced forever. Well, it felt like forever to me that is! :)

I had my first internal at 37 or 38 weeks and nothing changed until I went into labor the day after my due date. So for me, it meant nothing. The door was open but she just didn't want to leave! But I know it is different for everyone.

I was 100% and 3cm at 36 weeks...and I begged and begged to be induced 4 days shy of 42...
    Sorry for the bad news!
    But the good news:
    Once I did go into labor, it was an hour and a half from the first contraction to the last...
    So at least your body is ready!
    Valerie
    Mom to DD (7/01), DS (3/03) and "brother" (7/08)

macassi Guest

Sorry, I agree with the PPs. I was at 3cm from 36 weeks on, and my PA (physician's assistant) kept telling me that I'd go early. My doctor even went so far at two weeks early to reassure me that he was on call that weekend. I did eventually end up delivering early, but no where near as early as anticipated -- and I honestly think that I would have delivered later if I was pschyed by the comments. I started having regular contractions, but they weren't painful. I rushed to the hospital because I was worried that I was already starting at 3cm. Of course, no much happened. My doctor ended up putting me on pitocin to speed things along, but I wonder what would have happened had I ignored the contractions and stayed home.

JLiebCamm Guest

Default Your responses actually make me happy!

I really don't want baby to come until the new year. It will allow the craziness of the holidays to die down and let me get focused on the big event. The only bummer is the tax deduction that I would miss. I do like the post about the faster labor and delivery, though. With Nate it went on for 23 hours. I'm ready for a fast one!

ismommy Guest

Default RE: Your responses actually make me happy!

Hi Jessica,
    I cant believe you are at 3. I wonder which of us will go first?
    I was at 3 cm for weeks with Bella so it could still be awhile yet. This one no dilation which has me bummed but I am still hoping X will come soon
    Helene
    mommy to Isabella
    baby x EDD 1/11/05

nov02mom Guest

Hi Jessica- I was at 3cm for about a month! You may miss that tax deduction yet!!!
    Kristen

brigmaman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Me too. Weeks...

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was at 2-3 centimeters for at least three weeks, and Sarah was almost two weeks late.
    Wishing you ideal timing and a much shorter labor this time!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast