Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Glucose Tolerance Test -- any tricks?

I have to go in tomorrow morning for my glucose tolerance test. I failed that test when pregnant with Sarah, although I did pass the 3 hour test. I would like to avoid a similar scenario.

I tried to do a search, but didn't come up with anything.

Perhaps any moms here know any tricks/suggestions on how to help things along so that I can pass?
    Obviously, I won't have waffles w/ syrup and donuts for breakfast!
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Glucose Tolerance Test -- any tricks?

After I failed the first one the nurse at my ob told me that I should have fasted for it. She recommended that in the future I just not eat until after the test was done. With the three hour one she suggested not eating carbs the day before so I stuck to protein and veggies. I think that would probably work for the first one as well. I know that this may be easier said than done but it worked for me.

Good Luck!
    A

DD1 02/04
    DD2 01/06
    and twin boys 05/09

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I've heard that eating protein on the day of the test will help your results.

However, I wonder if trying to eat differently just to pass the test is a good idea. It's supposed to catch potential problems and it can't do that accurately if you are changing your eating habits in the hopes to trick the test. If you are worried about it and don't feel it's a necessary test, why don't you just decline it? It's not required that you take it.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my above comments. I don't mean to tell you that you're doing something wrong, just to point out that maybe it's not in your best interest to try to trick the test.

Kris

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I scheduled mine early in the morning and fasted.

My midwife told me to stay away from cherries (my FAVE) for a few days ahead of time since they are full of sugar. No wonder I like them so much.

Allison
    ~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's not trying to trick the test, it's a matter of not getting a false positive. If you actually have gestational diabetes, the oral test should still come up positive, even if you do adjust your eating habits.

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I did the same thing you did with both pregnancies. I failed the 1-hour test and passed the 3-hour test both times. However, in my second pregnancy, I ended up being diagnosed with GD later in my pregnancy even though I passed the 3 hour test. One of the things the nutritionist told me would help keep my morning levels down was to eat a high protein/low carb snack before bedtime. String cheese usually worked for me.

HTH-
    Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was told to stay away from sugar the day before 9including sugary fruit... bananas, cherries, grapes... and then eat higher protein lower carbs the day of. I passed the first time with DS and I am praying I pass this time too...... I was all jittery with the one hour....can't imagine what the 3 hour is like... I think I'd probably pass out!

Good luck

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
    and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

I just avoided sugar, sweets, and fruit for 24 hours before each test. And then I fasted before the test too, both times. I did pass both 1-hour tests.

Good luck! :)

mharling Guest

I just had mine yesterday and have a bad feeling. :( I went to a cookie exchange last week and let's just say I had eaten a lot of cookies. We had meatloaf and mashed potatoes the night before and I didn't eat after 8:00pm until after the test. I felt funky all day yesterday, which wasn't the case with Lane, so I'm worried.

I just checked Dr. Sears site and he suggests walking around during the 1-hour waiting period vs. sitting. Wish I would have read that earlier!

Good luck!

Mary
    Lane - April 2003
    Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Ah, okay. I know there are a lot of people who get filtered into the 3 hour test group who then pass that without a problem. If adjusting eating for a day or so makes it so that you don't have to be one of those who have to do the 3 hour test, just to easily pass it, it makes sense. I wasn't sure if by adjusting you could then get a false negative.

Personally, I passed easily. I did walk around after drinking the stuff. I was told to do that, so that the sugar would metabolize better. I drove most of the way to my midwife's office, drank the stuff, and walked around Kmart for 40 minutes. I don't know if it affected my numbers at all, becauase I was really low. But, it makes sense to not just sit in the office.

Thanks for pointing this out to me.
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast