Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Glucose Tolerance Test -- any tricks?

No advice, but I'm thinking of refusing the test this time. I had no issues last time, but I tend to get nasty hypoglycemic reactions if I eat something really sugary without protein, so fasting and then drinking that syrup is awful for me! I don't understand why the test is routine anyway, doesn't the urine dip at each apt check for signs of diabetes anyway??
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Oh my!! #2 5/05

ktdid74 Guest

Hi Esther- I work in an OB office and we are making sure our patients understand how important it is to not try to "fool" the test. You don't need to fast for the test!! We tell patients to eat how they normally would on any given day. I do encourage patients not to eat a dozen donuts that morning but other than that... :) You do fast for the 3 hour but not the 1 hour. Good luck-- I failed my 1 hour with DS but passed the 3hour thank goodness!

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you all for responding. It turned out to be a crummy day and my eating was not at all optimal (posted in "Bitching Post" about my day). I'm not going to make any special effort in the morning. I was advised not to have anything sugary/too fatty, so I'll just stick to those guidelines.

I did remember to put the drink in the fridge so that it would be cold.
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

steph01 Guest

I would seriously consider refusing the test. But everything posted her is a good idea to avoid false positives. I did the following:

Avoided refined sugars a few days before.

Ate a healthy high protien diet the night before (skip yhe ice cream.)

I scheduled the test for the morning, and I either fasted or ate something like cheese before drinking the drink. I have heard that a balance of protein with carbs help you digest the carbs. Avoid any additional carbs, because that is giving you more than th 50g of sugar the test was designed around!

In the end I gave birth to a 6lb 12oz baby, so even though I appeared to be a canidate for GD I did great on my screening, and the DS birth weight confirm that there was no GD. Next ttime I will probably refuse the test?

Has anyone had trouble refusing the test?

Katie -
    Can you provide insight on my question above - doesn't the urine dip screen for signs of diabetes (sugar, ketones, etc.)?
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Oh my!! #2 5/05

lcl Guest

not katie but yes the ua also screens for glucose and ketones. i was GD for the 1st pregnancy and now expecting late 5/05. during the 1st one it was discovered by the GTT. This time around the oBs office already detected large amount glucose and ketones in one of my urine dips ( and I only ate a lean cuisine and bagel for lunch that day two hrs prior) so i am already watching my diet. i had a 6lb 4 oz baby the 1st time. The key is also for a healthy baby. if someone skips the test and does not realize they have GD, their baby can go into hypoglycemia once delivered due to being exposed to high isulin levels. (i'm in the medical field but not an OB.) ALso if one has GD there is a higher chance theat they may develop DM later on which can affect eyes, heart, kidneys, neuro system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2