Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    smomom Guest

Default Anyone take Benadryl/Claritin while pregnant?

We are visiting my family and their cat for the holidays. I acquired a pretty good cat allergy a few years ago. Without Benadryl/Claritin I will be absolutely miserable staying in the same house as the kitty. My ob told me not to worry about taking Benadryl and take the recommended dosage on the box to relieve the allergy symptoms. However, when I asked the pharmacist a question about it he said that he would not recommend that I take any antihistamine. He finally said that if my doctor said so, then go ahead but maybe I should opt to Claritin so I won't be so drowsy.

Any thoughts on benadryl or clairitin while pregnant?

thanks so much!

amp Guest

Default RE: Anyone take Benadryl/Claritin while pregnant?

My doc told me Benadry and Claritin were fine. I took benadryl while pg w/ Jake. I did not want to take Claritin after reading some obscure reference to that causing some problem w/ penis deve. Don't even ask...I don't remember the details, but I decided to stick to benadryl, which I am sure has some issues, but I hadn't heard about them like I had w/ Claritin. Good luck!

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was told that under no circumstances was I to take claritin. I have major allergies and my ob told me that the only safe allergy med was benedryl. Even with the benedryl I was limited to taking it when I really needed it and then only one capsule. I really would not take clariten while pregnant - my understanding is that they really don't know what effect the drug has on the developing fetus but that they do know that it crossess the placenta.

I understand your cat misery since I have a similar allergy. I would take the benedryl and try to spend as much time away from the cat as possible.
    A

DD1 02/04
    DD2 01/06
    and twin boys 05/09

My midwife had me take Benadryl for my seasonal allergies, and to help fall asleep during the 3rd trimester when I was oh-so-uncomfortable and had insomnia.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

My OB let me take Claritin (5 or 10 mg/day) throughout my pregnancy. She did tell me to stay away from Claritin-D.

ETA: Marisa pointed me to this web site a while back; it's a good resource for use of medications while pregnant and nursing.
    http://www.safefetus.com

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif
    21 months and counting!

My ob told me to take two benadryl every night to help me sleep. I did it for at least five months, probably more.
    Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

Ditto - my dear friend took benedryl first for itching and later to help her sleep at night with no complications to her or the baby :)
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Oh my!! #2 5/05

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I take Claritin daily, currently and did with DD as well, with the knowledge and consent of several different OBs. Occasionally I need Benadryl on top of it. I happen to be extremely sensitive to Benadryl, so I use the children's liquid formulation and take a 1/2 teaspoon.

Benadryl is very safe. Claritin is apparently not recommended because there are no studies showing its safety in pregnant women, but thats true of almost all meds. But anecdotal evidence suggests that it is safe.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I took a 1/2 - 1 Benadryl to sleep for all of my 3rd trimester and about 1/2 of my 2nd to sleep at night.

Better living through chemistry!!! :)

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

mamahill Guest

"Better living through chemistry!!!"

LOL! Right on! I'm taking 2 benadryl at night to help me sleep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast