Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    vikivoly Guest

Default How much to give for a HS Graduation?

How much do you give for general graduation gift? I received 2 graduation announcements from friends/relatives that aren't particularly close - one is my pastor's son, the other is my cousin's daughter. How much should I give?

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: How much to give for a HS Graduation?

I just went through this! My husband's cousin just graduated from HS. We gave him $50; one of my BILs gave him $25 (I know because I asked b/c my husband thought $50 sounded too low and wanted to ask his brother). I would probably give $20 or $25 to people I didn't know very well, who may have only been sending you an announcement as a call for cash.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We usually gave $100-200 to DH’s siblings or immediate family (cousins). Honestly a cousin's daughter wouldn't fall into that range unless we were really close with them. We’d probably send more along the lines of $25 to an extended family member or close family friend.

I don't think you need to send them any $ if you're not really personally close to either of them. A nice little congratulations card should be sufficient.

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Annalia 3/03

#2 It's a girl! EDD: 6/05

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree, $25 is the standard for me to give if I've received an announcement from someone outside of immediate family. (Some years I get many from former students and I just can't afford to do more than that.) DH's niece just graduated and we only sent her a card, no $. It wasn't my idea, but I didn't fight it either as she has NEVER thanked us (in person or w/ a thank you card) for any birthday or Christmas presents EVER.

~Linda~
    DS 11/04
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25049.jpg

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We've given $30 to my cousins recently. They are 16-17 years younger than me, and we only see them once a year or so. We'll probably do $100 for DH's neice in a couple years, but we see her so much more often and are much closer to her.
    Kris

cvharris Guest

We gave a cousin of mine $75 for a HS graduation years ago so have felt that we need to do the same for all of my other cousins. For college graduation, we give a little bit more.

I would give a smaller amount to a non-relative, unless it is a particularly close friend.

Carolee
    Mama to Ben (6/03)
    Expecting #2 in December!

Great question Vicki. I just got an announcement for one of DH's collegues at work that were kind enough to give both of our kiddos baby gifts when they were born so I feel obligated. I was going to give $50, but after reading some of the answers maybe $25 is more in line since we don't even know this girl.

I don't want to seem cheap and give too little though! The stress of gift giving bums me out. :P
    Mom to R and R

ribbit1019 Guest

I understand this question too. My thoughts...
    $25-35 is good for people that you aren't that close to.

With that: Both grad announcements we have gotten this year are getting $25. They are DH's cousin we never talk to and my really close friend's brother who I watched grow up.

Christy
    Maddy's Mom
    06/09/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050609/1/0/0/-5/.png
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_amber_9m.gif

papal Guest

I am the cheapie here.. we got one of these from dh's niece... an invitation to the graduation ceremony.. which honestly just came across as a solicitation for $$ because only 2 members on a family are allowed to attend.. there is no room in the auditorium for more family members. So then why send out an invitation when you know there is no way that the person can attend? Also, this was the same niece that never sent thank you notes for the innumerable times we have been nice to them, sent them gifts etc etc. So no, nothing from us..not even a card. I am sure dh would have it differently, but till he goes to the Hallmark store and buys a card and puts a cheque in it, i get to say how things go around here. heeheee.

So coming back to your question.. if it were cheap old me, I would just send a Congratulations card and that is all.

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Rashmi,

Do we share the same niece???

~Linda~
    DS 11/04
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25049.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast