Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Anyone have to do nebulizer/albuterol treatments for child under 2 years

DD was diagnosed with a bad cold. She also has a fever around 102. She has some wheezy, croupy breathing. The doctor prescribed nebulizer/albuterol treatments. She is only 18 months. Has anyone been through this?

macassi Guest

Default RE: Anyone have to do nebulizer/albuterol treatments for child under 2 years

Abbie has been on daily nebulizer treatments since she was 5 months old. What questions do you have? I'm sure I can answer them. Not only has she been on all the meds, but she's been through a hospital stay and sees a pulmonologist (sp?) so I have a lot of experience.

Abbie still uses a mask and she actually takes her meds great. We strap the mask over her face (after inserting binkie into the mouth!) and we either read or lately I've started cheating and letting her watch tv during the treatments.

Albuterol has been used for years and is considered a very safe drug. It may make your child a bit jittery and/or hyper. We actually use Xopenex because it has few side effects, but it is more expensive (brand drug versus generic).

I'm sure your daughter will be okay but don't hesitate to call your doctor if she gets any worse. I'm sure your doctor gave you signs for an immediate ER visit, but just in case -- if she turns blue, go to to the ER! If her breathing continues to be really wheezy and if she starts retracting (pulling in of the ribcage with every breathe) then you want to call your doctor immediately.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone have to do nebulizer/albuterol treatments for child under 2 years

I guess I just want reassurance. The treatments are due to a bad cold and I guess I'm just nervous about it. The doc also prescribed steroids, to help keep the passages open, I guess.

DD was 24 months when she had to use the albuterol. I also have a few friends who had to use it on a 1 1/2 year old, and on a 6 month old. It is safe, and actually needed to open the airways.

The hardest part was her staying still enough - did you get a mask? If she will tolerate it, that was the easiest way for us. Otherwise we had to turn a movie on just to keep her still enough to get through the treatment.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I hope she starts feeling better very soon.

Lisa

s_gosney Guest

We've also had to use both albuterol and inhaled steroids on and off. Fortunately the asthma only acts up when dd is sick, but we've still had more experience with the nebulizer than I would like. At first, we had to hold her and dance around and sing to keep her breathing the stuff. A little over a month ago we had to use it for an allergy flare-up, and she surprised me and let me strap the mask on and she just sat there no problem. She was watching signing time though, so I'm sure that helped.

nathansmom Guest

Zachary has been on the nebulizer/albuterol treatments plus pulimcort since he was 2 months old. I've been told we likely will be doing this till he's at least 2 years old. He actually does really good but I think this is because he's been doing it for so long.
    Marci has given you some great advice. We too see the pulmo(sp?) and a rt twice a week. I'm sure either of us can answer any quesitons you may have.

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS started on Albuterol when he was 5 months old, when he had RSV.
    Then when he was around a year old he had to do that and Pulmicort on maintenance. That means twice a day, day after day.

Watching TV definitely helps the screaming. I got Signing Time DVDs then, and that became our routine. He picked up ASL (American Sign Language) and got his nebulizer treatment at the same time.

Now he is off the treatment, we were told only to use when necessary.

It (the Albuterol) did help DS's breathing a lot. After the treatment he doesn't wheez.

Good luck!
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

macassi Guest

The steroids are probably the pulmicort that several other posters have mentioned. I think that's the drug that scares most parents... no one wants to think of their kids on steroids! I've had multiple pulmonologists reassure me about the use of steroids with kids. Abbie's actually been on them (like some other posters) on a daily basis for the last year and a half. I think the daily inhaled dose for the YEAR is equal to one course of treatment of the oral steroids, so it is much preferrable and very safe. My pulmo. discussed several studies with me where the children had used the pulmicort on a daily basis for 15 years. That should give you some reassurance!

You probably don't need it for a cold, but I finally broke down and bought a stethoscope for Abbie a few months ago, and I love it! I can tell exactly when she's wheezing and how she reacts to the medicine. I know that I'd never be able to diagnose bronchitis or pneumonia or anything, but I feel better knowing what her "normal" breathing and "wheezing" breathing sounds like and being able to catch the wheeze that much earlier. Again, probably overkill for the cold you're talking about, but if you ever had long term issues... I'd recommend the investment. I think it cost me a whopping $7 or something.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Simon is on a neb too. I was just going to ask a similar question. He has Reactive Airway Disease so we're on it for at least 2 months...Pulmicort and Xopenex. I was a little worried about it too, but it turns out treating this is what is helping him sleep at night and he is SO much better already. He takes the mask pretty well, but towards the end we're really working to keep him from melting down. We strap it on and dance around and sing, read books, etc. but he's only 6 months old...
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Jude got his around 18 months for Restricted Airway. I HATED the machine at first. I was convinced my child was broken. We quickly learned to live with it, and he was so good with it. The third treatment was a breeze, the first two had us both in tears.

We need it on occassion now. The Dr told me it is his cough medicine, so if he has a cough this is what I go for.

He is an angel with it. He will go to his rocking chair and ask for it. He knows it means a video, and I am OK with that. He will put it on his mouth and turn on the button.

This machine made me sane with some bad colds/coughs. It is a blessing in disquise.

The key is to make it a treat! A fireman hat and a video do the trick in our house. It is hidden right now b/c it is not needed, otherwise he would ask for it. I swear he knows it makes him better.

FYI it never has made him hyper. We did it at bedtime and in the middle of the night as needed. It never prevented him from sleeping which was a concern for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast