Virginia Dad Guest

Default R2sweetboys regarding trip to Richmond

I thought I would start a new thread since it might be longwinded. There is a ton to do within an hour or so of Chesterfield. With the kids, there is the Metro Richmond Zoo, which is actually in Chesterfield. Nothing fancy, not close to the DC or Philly Zoos, but it isn't too bad. Maymont Park is also a great place to spend a few hours. They have animals there too. Then there is always the Children's Museum. If you are into shopping, there are two relatively new outdoor malls. Stony Point is on southside (which is where Chesterfield is) and Short Pump is in the west end of Henrico County.

As for the adults, there are a ton of great restaurants. Tobacco Company has long been a staple of Richmond culture and will expose you to Downtown. There is also a Mortons downtown, although we didn't think it was that good. Stony Point mall has PF Changs, Flemings Steakhouse (fancy steakhouse) and Copelands Cheesecake Bistro. Also in southside, off Huguenot Road, you have Ruths Chris Steakhouse and Bottegas Italian Bistro. Short Pump mall has Firebirds Steakhouse (which is very reasonably priced and has a great woodburing grill), Copper Grill (fancy steakhouse), Tera Thai and Maggianos (Italian). Also in the west end, in an area called Innsbrook, there is Hondos, a very good high end restaurant.

If you are looking for something Richmond, I would go with Tobacco Company or one of the many neighborhood restaurants in the area known as The Fan. There is Sidewalk which is the best bar food in Richmond, Sticky Rice which is a sushi place owned by a friend of mine, Stellas which is eclectic/greek, Joes Inn which is Italian, Dogwood which is whatever the chef wants it to be that night and a ton of others. Try looking at www.richmond.com for more information. If you tell me what type of food/price range you are looking for, I can narrow it down much more.

The Jefferson Hotel is a national historic landmark and one of I think 20 hotels to have both Mobil and AAA five star ratings. It is beautiful and the rooms are incredible. The Sunday brunch is amazing. It's pricey ($35 per person I think) but worth it to do once in a blue moon. Check out www.jeffersonhotel.com

Other than that, let me know what you are interested in food wise and I can give you more specifics. Hope this helps!

Default RE: R2sweetboys regarding trip to Richmond

hi, Virginia Dad, I lived in Richmond several years ago and still visit my sister there often, and you suggested lots of great places. You forgot the good Mexican place on Midlothian... forgot the name... I think it often has triangular flags out front like a car dealers. They have a creamy white "salsa" that I thought was quite unique.

I now live in Cville, so just wanted to say hi.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

R2sweetboys:

I used to live in Richmond and my sister still does. I just found your original post and had a few suggestions. Here are some great Richmond suggestions:
    http://www.richmondon-line.com/attra...t_outdoor.html

My favorite thing to do in Richmond is visit Belle Island in the James River. I just did this a few months ago with my two kids, plus three nieces/nephews and we all loved it. There is convenient parking, then you walk across a cool pedestrian bridge, walk a short bit around the island to an awesome spot to sit on rocks and watch kayakers (watch the kids... my DD fell in last time). If you're ambitious, walk all the way around the island. The views are lovely and the environment a nice nature get-away.

Downtown the city has just developed a very attractive canal walk, which ultimately connects up by Belle Island. On the other side of the James, closer to Chesterfield, is the Flood Wall, which offers interesting tours on weekends. THe wall is WIDE and you actually walk on top of it (strollers would be OK as long as you can carry it up the initial set of 12ish steps).

My sister, who lives in Richmond, enjoys going to Deep Run Park (which might have a skate park) and Three Rivers Park (which has a small aquariam/wildlife center).

Maymont Park is great for kids... small petting zoo, Japanese Garden with cement "lilypads" kids can jump on, interesting mansion tour for adults.

I don't know anyone who has gone, but there is a re-created farm called Meadow Farm Museum that is designed for kids.

Closer to Chesterfield is Pochohantas State Park. I only know there is an outdoor pool, but it's a really large park and there might be hiking/playgrounds/grills for a BBQ picnic/etc.

Richmond has a nice children's museum that my sister's kids like, although the 8 year old is aging out of it. Very nearby is a nice Science Museum.

You could also go to a minor league baseball game by the Richmond Braves. The stadium is in a very unattractive area, so don't judge the city by that.

Not sure of the ages of your kids, but if a movie is possible, the Carytown area of Richmond has the Byrd Theater, a gorgeous old-time theater with super cheap weekend tickets (maybe $1?) AND a live organist playing a grand Wurlitzer organ before the movie. Get there a little early as I think there is often a line for tickets, but they rarely sell out.

In the summer, Innsbrook (an office park/entertainment area in the west end) has $10 outdoor concerts, free for children, often by well-known groups. I think picnicking with lawn chairs and coolers is allowed. See http://www.innsbrookafterhours.com/schedule.htm. The concerts were free several years ago, but apparently not anymore, but the low cost and outdoor element might make them a nice family outing.

I think Richmond has a ton of fun stuff to do. I loved exporing it.

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Virginia Dad Guest

La Siesta. They used to have a west end location when I was growing up. They have been around forever and were operating Mexican restaurants before the big craze hit. We try to make out it there every now and again. The white salsa is great...and probably the best fried ice cream I have ever had. Great chicken nachos too.

Virginia Dad Guest

We live 2 minutes from Deep Run Park so I can't believe I forgot to mention it. Belle Isle is nice, but if it's too hot, be careful. Innsbrook's $10 shows are on Wednesdays only, but they do get some higher priced acts on other days of the week. They have great shows. There is ton to do in and around Richmond.

Virginia Dad Guest

Just wanted to make sure you saw this before it rolled off.

Thanks for giving methe name of La Siesta!

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9