jasabo Guest

Default Another eBay question - what does Private Listing mean?

Why would someone sell something using a Private Listing?

This is what it says when you look up the bid history for something I bid on:

private listing - bidders' identities protected

Is this something I should be suspicious about? Not sure if I should continue bidding or not.

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

JLiebCamm Guest

Default RE: Another eBay question - what does Private Listing mean?

I don't know why some people chose to use it. I used it once in a listing of mine when I was selling some vintage gay men's magazines (Now I KNOW that sounds bizarre...DH and I were at an auction shortly after we were married to buy antique furniture...this box of mags came up for auction and no one was bidding on them...we thought they were a hoot, with pics of men in loin cloths 'wrestling' so we paid about $4 for the box...looked them up on Ebay and found that they sold for $50-$60 an issue!). Anyways, other people selling these mags were using the private listing so we did too. I suppose anything that could potentially be embarassing to the buyer would fall under this category. Otherwise, I don't know!

It is also done in certain communities so that people don't know if they are bidding against their friends. Sometimes people don't want to bid against a friend, and then the seller who is also their friend loses out because the auction doesn't go very high.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

jasabo Guest

Oh, that makes sense I guess. Though this auction is for a purse, so I can't imagine why there's a need for secrecy. But to each his own.

Love your magazine story...I never even knew there was such a thing as vintage gay magazines...not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Also for high value items where the buyers may not want folks to know they have that much money!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

JLiebCamm Guest

They are "Young Physique" magazines from th 50's and 60s, which are under the guise of being a muscle magazine. One look at them and you know that there's another reason for the mag. They really are funny!

LOL the magazine story was a hoot!

I was looking for a mop cap for Katie when she was a baby. I went to ebay and found that people make baby clothes for adults. It one thing to intellectually know people do this, and quite another to actually see pictures of it. Anyway, all of those auctions are private. I would be concerned about an auction for a purse though.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If I remember correctly, those are the magazines that Paul Reubens (PeeWee Herman) was caught with. Perhaps he was a buyer!

Jennifer
    Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."