NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default Strange question- but do birds re-use their nests, or do others re-use them

We have been blessed with so many mommy birds chosing our trees to make their homes, but it appears once babes have flown they are abandoned...I don't want to remove them if they are used again, but if not would love to remove them for the boys to see...

Anyone know???
    Neve
    Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Birds in Our Yard Did this Year!

I don't know what the general rule is, or if there is one, but there's a nest in our back yard that has been there for at least five or six years that I had been thinking about removing for the same reason (to show Sarah). A few weeks ago when I was pruning the bush it was in, I noticed that birds had added some new twigs and leaves and padding to it. We kept an eye on it and last week discovered there were four beautiful blue robin's egs inside. We now check it out every few days, being careful not to get too close. So, in our case, I'm glad we left it in place.

Is there any way you or Steve can lift them so they can see the nest witout removing it? That's what we did with Sarah so she would see the nest, and now the eggs.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default Thank you- that is all it took

Just to know that some bird is reusing it I won't remove mine...
    that is very interesting that it took so many years for a bird to find it and make it their home...

You wonder is that is a smart bird or a lazy bird????
    What a wonderful story...

I love having birds make nest and feed their babies in our yard-
    I have watched a mommy mocking bird work her butt off feeding 3 or 4 babies and yesterday she had a different sound to her chirp. I was convinced that they babies were out trying to learn to fly and asked Steve to bring the dogs in...he peeked and they were still in the nest...

I think she was saying "OK you free loaders it is time for you to jump the nest!!!!"...her chirp was so different...she and I look at eachother as if to say "I understand mama"...

Neve

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Strange question- but do birds re-use their nests, or do others re-use them

Neve,

I am not an expert, but I think it all depends on the type of bird. I know that some return to the same nest and that some birds will use another bird's abandoned nest. Do you know what type of birds they are?

It must be so pretty to look out your windows and see all the birds!

A
    A

DD1 02/04
    DD2 01/06
    and twin boys 05/09

Default RE: double post

ooops!

Default RE: Thank you- that is all it took

How sweet about the mockingbirds! I can't wait until the sweet little babies in our yard hatch. We haven't seen the mama bird yet though.

We had a large bird house (built by the previous owners) that was usually filled with a nest, and I was really sad when Hurricane Isabel (?) knocked it and its post over. We tried to repair it, but sadly, the birds haven't returned to nest there.

Hope your nest sees some new residents soon! :)

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Strange question- but do birds re-use their nests, or do others re-use them

I think that mockingbirds do return to the same nest. We had an aggressive pair in our backyard (they are VERY protective of their nests) that would swoop down on us and peck at us if we came near "their" fig tree. Several people told us that we would have to move their nest to keep them from returning next year. We did and it worked.

Glad to hear that your mockingbirds are sweet! We felt like we were living in a Hitchcock movie.

Jennifer
    Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default I have two mocking birds and a tiny tiny brown bird-

and the tiny brown bird when she rests has a mohawk look...

I watched her amke her nest with such excitement...she even had some of my hair strands in that nest...when her three eggs hatched I called my friend and announced I was a grandma!!!! I don't know what kind of bird she was, my friend did look it up...

I'll tell you they work hard those mamas do...
    I peaked in on mommy mocks nest today since hubby sprayed for flying beetles yesterday and I feared it would hurt the babies even though he didn't spray that tree-I didn't know or I would have caught him.
    But they were gone...I betcha mama mock is snoozing up a storm right now!!!!

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default Oh they can be downright vicious!!!!

At my moms house they swoop down and tell you what they think...mine for some reason (really speaking of this one that is really close to the house) I think really trust us all...

And we have three dogs who chose to be out often!!!! I wonder why...
    yesterday I tried to nap and I kid you not she was perched right at my window doing this new chirp sound...I think she was trying to celebrate while she was telling these youngsters to "fly" :)...

I do talk to her a lot though :)-I'm kind of crazy...we don't kill spiders and go out of our way to remove them from the house to safety and all...maybe she has seen me in my crazydom and trust me some :)
    Neve

Mikesa3 Guest

I'm glad you asked this question .We have a family of birds that built a nest in the corner of our front porch.We have no trees in our yard so I guess they were desperate.LOL Today we were able to see that they have 4 baby birds.They are so cute.We took some pictures being careful not to bother them.Dh even hooked the camcorder up to the TV for a few minutes so we could moniter them feeding from inside.I think having 4 babies at a time is unusual for birds.Does anyone know?
    Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids