kath68 Guest

Default Help! DS bit me!

My sweet 14 month old DS has bitten me twice in the past couple of days -- ouch! I figure it is a combo of the onset of the terrible twos and teething (he has molars and incisors coming in at the same time). He is frustrated when I take him away from something, and he is thinking with his teeth, so to speek.

When it happened, I held him firmly, looked him in the eyes and in a stern tone (but not yelling) said "You don't bite Mommy!" Which made him cry. Then I gave him a hug and we both moved on.

So, wise moms out there -- WWYD? It doesn't seem fully purposeful on his part, but it has happened more than once, so it is likely to happen again. And I don't want him to *ever* bite someone else.

TIA!

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Help! DS bit me!

Something I've read a couple times says not to say "You don't bite" or hit whatever, because obviously he does. :)

I just finished Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline. What she suggests doing is very similar to what you did, but express that it hurts and say something like "Owww, You bit me. It hurts when you bite me" and maybe throw in a " I don't like like you to bite me" at the end.

Unfortunately he probably will bite again. If as you suspect he is biting when something is taken away, you could say something like "You bit me because you are angry that I took whatever away" and then whatever "don't bite me" thing you want to say. I think he is really a little young to understand it all now but when he gets verbal you would want to tell him words he can use instead of biting.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

I read somewhere, maybe it was Baby 411, to say...
    "No biting. That hurts Mommy."

Very simple so it doesn't come out sounding like the teacher on Charlie Brown. I am terrified of the day when DD begins teething. She's "gummed" me a couple of times while feeding and THAT hurts so I totally feel for you and those bites you got!

amp Guest

We had a few incidents of that, but I'm relieved to say that my kid is not a biter overall. When it did happen, I found out that it generally happened when we were playing/roughhousing and he just got really worked up (the situation can be different, but maybe in your house the environment or activity is the same), so I learned to be really tuned to when it could happen and he made a motion. I'll have to admit that he got a big reaction out of me, but it wasn't a good one and it made him pretty nervous when I shrieked, rather than thinking it was funny or antyhing. After about 3 big bites and a few tiny ones, we "nipped" it in the bud, so to speak. We rarely have a problem with it at this point.

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DS went through that when he was around 19 months old. He did it when he was playing (so not in anger), and his incisors were coming in. I told him "No! No biting, it hurts Mommy" and try to move his head away from (often times) my nose.

Thankfully once his incisors came out, the biting stops.

I know it is not fun, and he was bitten once on his cheeks that leave teethmarks by one of his classmates. It probably looked worse than it actually is.

Good luck!
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03