Default When do "beauty marks" first appear?

I just noticed that my DD has no "beauty marks" or birth marks ANYWHERE. This strikes me as odd.
    Do beauty marks appear later in life?
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: When do "beauty marks" first appear?

Payton got his first mark this winter. He only has one so far. I expect him to have a body full by HS, as DH and I are both covered.

I don't know the medical answer, but my personal experience is that as I've gotten older, I've gotten more. Except I now have fewer on my back-- I have 'halo moles' (which is where my skin's been attacking the moles and eventually winning the battle).
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sean was born with no marks and then developed two small strawberry marks when he was a few weeks old. One (on top of his head) has almost disappeared already and the other (on his back) is fading a bit more slowly, but definitely fading. Sometime in the last year, he got a really cute little freckle/ birthmark at the top of his left butt cheek. It's adorable! :) And he got a larger (maybe one-inch) very faint mark on one of his shins. I thought it was dirt or a fading bruise at first, but it stayed. :)

Jerilyn
    DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our son (almost 5 months old) has a "mongolian spot" on his 'lil behind. Being he is adopted it freaked us out bad when we first noticed (about 2 weeks after birth) because it looked as if his poor lil butt and small of his back was all bruised up - and the last thing we wanted was some social worker questioning our parenting abilities. We made sure the doc that was seeing him for his cold (the day after we noticed it) made a note of it in his file - he said very casually "oh yea - it's a mongolian spot - very common in those of Hispanic descent" and just moved on to his cold.
    ~Bill

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The son of a friend has the same thing and she had the same worry about people thinking it might be a bruise. She made sure to point it out at daycare and explain. Her DH is African-American and she is Caucasian. She had never heard of this before, but said that she read somewhere that it is common in children of AA descent. Being biracial, their boys are fairly light-skinned, so it is probably more obvious than on a child with darker skin.

Jerilyn
    DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS got his first moles within the past couple of months - DH and I are both really fair-skinned with freckles and moles all over the place, and DS is now catching up.

I read somewhere that babies should not have moles or freckles until they are about a year old - strawberries and birthmarks are normal, but moles and freckles on the very young are a sign of skin problems...I wish I could remember where I've read all the stuff I've read, it'd be nice...
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Same thing here except the nurses at the hospital made a point of showing us when she was born. I don't think too much of it normally but a few weeks ago she was wearing the new Pampers Pull-ups, and they aren't as high in the back as the regular. You could see one of them, and I have to admit it made me a little self-conscious.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

hobey Guest

Same here but our ped made a point to show us on our first visit with a comment that most African American, Hispanic, and Asian children (my DS is Hapa) have one.

As far as other marks, DS has a small strawberry mark on his thigh that is slowly fading but no moles yet.

Raquel
    Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD has had this mongolian spot on her bum, right in the crevice. She's had it since she was a newborn and it looked kind of like a bruise. But it's slowly fading. I don't know if it'll ever completely disappear, but I definitely don't notice it as much anymore.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png