Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Chicagoites, and others in the region...

Where would you go for a weekend alone? DH is sending me off to be by myself (I'm between classes this weekend), and I want to go somewhere I can relax. Can't spend too much money, but I can drive a ways, and I want to get out of the city, and go somewhere I can hike and maybe stay in a cabin (though I'll camp if I need to). Someplace quiet and beautiful. Any thoughts?

(Btw, if I owe you an email... I'll get to it soon. I know I owe several. Just starting to get caught up after our move, as we still don't have internet at home so my access is still spotty.)

Default RE: Chicagoites, and others in the region...

How about someplace like Galena? I think it's really pretty there-hills, river, etc. It's a drive, but not *too* far, and I bet you could find a B & B or a nice campground.

Have fun!! I'm jealous of your alone time!! Let us know what you pick.

lizamann Guest

Galena is a great suggestion! You could also camp at the Indiana Dunes, and sun on the beach during the day. It's just like being in Cancun, if you ignore the old steel mills LOL!

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Starved Rock!!!! It's a state park out west a little ways. Plenty of hiking, camping, and I believe they have cabins for rent.

~ deb
    DS 12/03
    And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love Starved Rock. Galena is nice, too - especially if you'd want to do a little antique shopping.

I would probably go to Wisconsin - Kettle Moraine area, or maybe even all the way to the center, and rent a little cabin on a lake....

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Starved Rock is a great idea for what you described! If you wanted beach and a cute B&B I'd suggest Union Pier, Mi or South Haven, but don't think they have much hiking.

Let us know what you end up with!
    Holly
    Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Galena was also my first reaction! Or even across the river in Dubuque.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Another vote for Starved Rock. They do have little cabins for rent, as well as a couple of cozy little B&B's nearby. Ooh, and horseback riding!
    Traci
    ~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
    Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

Another vote for Starved Rock. DH and I used to do day trips there when we wanted to hike and picnic. It's not "hard" hiking - which is difficult to come by in the flat midwest! But once you get past the touristy part, it is quiet, the path goes along the river and back into some ravines and "canyons" (using the term loosely in these here flat plains) and is relaxing. There are cabins with varying degrees of "hoteliness" and plenty of places to sit back and just stare out thinking nothing. Mmmm, maybe I need to get back there soon...
    Have fun whatever you do.
    Alaina
    Alex 2-4-03

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Update on where I went

Sorry to bump up this old thread, but a few people wanted to know where I got to go. :)

I went to Beaver Creek Valley State Park in Minnesota, about a 5-6 hour drive, and camped. I went hiking, I had campfires, and perhaps best of all, I got to sleep straight through the night for three nights in a row. :D I also got to spend several days without hearing city noises, which did wonders for my state of mind. (I am discovering that I am not a city girl at heart.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast