newmama4 Guest

Default This might seem like a strange question....

but did anyone else's eyesite change after pregnancy?

I noticed lately that my eyesite was really blurry. I thought I need stronger glasses or something b/c I was having the hardest time reading anything (large or small). When we got back from vacation this week, I went to the eye doctor and it turns out that my much weaker nearsited eye got better by 3 powers! I can't believe it - and everything is blurry b/c my glasses are too strong. I never heard of such a thing - and even my eye doc was baffled.

Can pregnancy do this? Freaky eh?!

This happen to anyone else?

Elise
    Hannah Meira's Eema (11/16/04)

Default RE: This might seem like a strange question....

Yup. It may continue changing for several months afterward too. It's something about the additional estrogen and fluid in your body that affects the shape of your eye. My opthalmologist prefers to not change any scripts unless it's really necessary during and afterward for about 3-4 months. If you have an astigmatism, it can especially change big time.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

RwnMayfair Guest

Mine's never been great anyway, and it didn't change drastically after Taran was born. My eye doctor did say that your eyesight can change after pregnancy though. He also mentioned it can change during pregnancy as well, but the changes aren't always permanent. He told me this a year ago, so I can't swear as to the exact reason anymore. Now granted, he didn't specify about it getting better or worse, he just said it could change due to the changes your body goes through during and after pregnancy and explained why.

Wish I could remember exactly what he said! I ought to go get my eyes checked again anyway, so I should try and remember to ask when I do that. Wish mine had improved due to pregnancy.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
    http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

newmama4 Guest

Thanks! Never heard of this - too bad the esdtrogen can't reshape other parts of my body!!

Does this mean it can change back? I really need new lenses for my frames and now new sunglasses and a new backup pair....

Elise

Yeah, they can. It also depends on whether or not you're breastfeeding.

My OD said that it wasn't worth it to put spendy lenses in my frames tilI we were fairly certain that the script wouldn't change. I think I paid $40-50 for basic plastic ones.

I've taken old frames that I've liked and made them into sunglasses before to save money.

I'd talk to your OB and OD to see if they have any suggestions since it's been almost a year. You're probably good now, though. My OD said that it's primarily during and immediately after pregnancy that most of the changes occur.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Haven't heard of anyone getting better vision! Mine got worse with both PGs. It went back to normal about 6 months after DD#1 was born. I'll have to wait and see if it does this time around too.

Pretty cool that your sight improved! Maybe having a couple more DCs will get you back to 20/20? ;) :P

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Annalia 3/03
    Sophia 6/05

barbarhow Guest

Default OMG-Thank you for asking this

I have always had perfect vision-20/10. Since Anna-I am blind as a bat. My vision is blurred-I can't read. It is awful. I spent my nursing moments with Jack reading voraciously. I could no more read a book right now. I have reading glasses-just the magnifier kind that you can buy anywhere-this helps alot but sometimes I don't think they are big enough.
    I guess I need to see the ophtho.

My eye doctor (who is my uncle) refuses to see pregnant patients unless its an emergency. He says vision almost always changes for the worst when you are pregnant and it usually returns. But if not, he'll see the women a little while after they deliver.

Interesting isn't it?
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

newmama4 Guest

I am fascinated by this. Yes I am breastfeeding and plan on continuing forever??? Well, not forever of course, but who knows....

I definitely need to get new glasses b/c I can't read - I have to even type this w/o my glasses on which is hard and I keep making a million mistakes! Anyway, my eye doctor also didn't want to really examin me last year when pg and wouldn't put drops in my eyes last year or this year - but I am desperate to see clearly again.

I hope this doesn't all change again - I was going to go and get a cheap pair of plastic backup glasses with the correct perscription today and then see about my nice regular glasses and sun glasses.

Yeah, I too was thinking that having another pg might correct my other eye too - LOL!

Elise

lablover is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mine actually improved compared to pre-pregnancy! One power in the right and two in the left! My eye appt was at 5 months pp, and at 17 months pp it was still the same.
    Mom to:
    DS - 2003
    DD - 2006