Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Donating formula, coupons

hi all,
    I have a bunch of formula (from the hospital) and I get a lot of coupons for formula and diapers etc. I have previously tried giving them to needy people thru craigslist but recently CL here has just been a mess with people accusing each other of all kinds of stuff so I'm leary!
    Is there some place I can just drive to and drop off the formula and leave the coupons? I really don't need the hassle of emailing back and forth and trying to arrange pick up etc.
    I don't want to see these go unused either.
    Any help is much much appreciated,
    Thanks,
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

searchdog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Donating formula, coupons

You could always find a church that runs a food pantry and give it to them, I am sure they would be happy to give it to a family that is truly in need of it. I am sure you could find a food pantry not to far from you so it wouldn't be to inconvenient

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I donated formula and bottles to a crisis pregnancy center, and they were THRILLED to get it.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Good idea! How did you find one?
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

Not sure how you find one, maybe the phone book or internet? You could do a search for charities specific to your area. Another option is if you know of a group home for children in your area. I donated formula to one in our area that is run by a family (started by a woman many years ago whose family wants to continue her work). They care for "atypical" children, many born to moms addicted to alcohol, drugs, etc. I donated my maternity clothes and some baby clothes to a center for teenage mothers. I knew about this through my Mom who was in community relations in her job. She said some of the girls are as young as 10 - so sad and so hard to believe. They support the girls' decision to keep their babies. They teach parenting skills and help them finish school, get jobs, etc. It is affiliated with a church.

Hope you find a worthwhile cause. They are always in need and are so grateful. These places are good ideas for disposable diapers, too.

amp Guest

You can also just post in the Bargains forum that you have them and give them to someone here who might need to save a few bucks.

A local church, food pantry or mom's group might be another place to unload them.

I'm always checking the Bargains forum for Enfamil coupons, but felt that OP wanted to donate to a charity so I didn't mention it. If you are just wanting to get rid of them without throwing them out that is another good option. I had no intention of formula feeding and now am quite frustrated that it worked out this way for me. Formula is very expensive, esp. hypoallergenic formula, and I think we all try to find ways to save a few dollars. However, I know a lot of charities need them way more than I do.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

See if there is a Crisis Pregnancy Center in your area...
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hi all,
    Thanks for the suggestions - I really like the idea of donating to a pregnancy crisis center.
    In case I can't find any charities, I will post on the Bargains board.
    Thanks again,
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Donating them to shelters is an idea. I usually just toss them these days.

Keep in mind, though, that one reason that formula is expensive is because they give out the coupons, and they give out the coupons to entice people to use (their) formula over breastfeeding or using another formula.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast