sbjf Guest

Default Some mommy wardrobe questions.

If I were to wear LL Bean and Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft exclusively would I be all set?

I've been on a quest to find one store to buy all my clothes from for a while now and have been unable to find that one perfect store. I've always been drawn to Bean and AT/ATL, I figure between the two of them I should be able to compile a classic yet stylish wardrobe, what do you fashionistas think?

Keep in mind, I'm a fashion simpleton. I dislike clothes shopping, I get confused over what's stylish/too trendy, what looks good together, etc. I'm not out to necessarily impress anyone, but I do like to feel good and feel like I look good. I'm a sahm, but I do want to have a look I can count on and have the right clothes for the right occasions. I do playgroup, pool, library, errands, lunch with dh/mom in Atlanta, cultural events in Atlanta, etc., that's my current lifestyle.

I'm at the point where I want to throw out 90 percent of what's in my closet and start over.

Also, I'm in desperate need for good nursing bras, any suggestions? (I'm thinking Bean and AT/ATL do not have these!). :-)

VClute is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Some mommy wardrobe questions.

I'm a big fan of Ann Taylor Loft. I think of Ann Taylor being where you go when you're all into your self and your career, and ATL as where you go for a "Mommy" wardrobe. Comfortable, casual, not-too-expensive and put-together. As far as nursing bras go, I've been pretty pleased with my cheapy ones from Motherhood. They're not 100% cotton, but the cups are lined with cotton and they look pretty smooth under t-shirts. Plus I paid only 16 bucks each so I don't get my feelings hurt from washing them so much and maybe blowing the elastic.

Amy in NC
    mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I pretty much shop at Chico's exclusively. I buy my denim, capri pants, tees both long and short sleeve, jackets, and dress clothes there. Mostly everything fits my over 40 body and it is trendy without making me look like my teenager. The quality is wonderful.

I also love some Hanna mommy things. Have to buy online though.

I buy a few sweaters and tops from J.Jill. I find the fit and quality not as consistent. I used to buy from Talbots. It got too boring and same old for me.

I buy bodywear from Victoria's Secret. Love the new Apex bra and body by Victoria panties.

I buy shoes from Zappos, birkenstockcentral, and Dillard's.
    Michele
    Mama to three girls

steph2003 Guest

ATL is great for SAHMs I think! I pick up quite a few things here & it helps that they seem to always have a coupon floating around.

I also got some things this spring from both LL Bean & Lands End. Lands End is great cause their sizing is for real women if ya know what I mean! And you can do returns at Sears if you order online.

I admit I also still buy a lot of basics (t-shirts, shorts) at the Gap outlet near my house. The quality is ok & I can stock up on basics w/o going too broke. I seem to be really hard on t-shirts especially!

My new love is mommy Hannas but I haven't bought anything unless it is on sale & I can squeeze into some girls size 160. Of course the girl stuff is cheaper.

I'm not a fashionista by any means - I just try to not look too frumpy most days ;)

lizamann Guest

Fashion simpleton, former shopping-hater here, too.

What about shopping at a department store that offers personal shopping? I did this at Nordstrom while I was working, and I think it would work for a SAHM, too. I would go once a year, spend about 3-4 hours (and a lot of $$) and be set for the year. The shopper did all the work and was a fashion consultant, too - kinda like a mini What Not To Wear session. I loved it - felt really put together and current, and it was pretty effortless. It's free, except that the clothes are pretty pricey, but well-made. I thought it was great for someone who dislikes shopping and is intimidated by all the options. I need to take my own advice some time soon - way overdue for a wardrobe overhaul myself!

mama2galpals Guest

beth that sounds great but how much $$ are we talking?

rita
    mommy to
    olivia '97
    stella '00
    emma '03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
    --Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

lizamann Guest

I guess it totally depends on what you're buying. I was buying a few pairs of nice pants at $110 each, a few sweaters and tops, and a skirt or two. It can add up pretty quickly, but even at Nordstrom there are different price ranges. And you can get as much or as little as you want - no lower limit that I know of. And the shopping service is free. I guess it totally depends on who you get to help, but I lucked out with a great person recommended by a friend, and went back to her a few times.

If that is your style, those shops will definitely provide you with what you need.

I would also just add that old navy could be a great single addition to your 2 stores, because since you stated you are more classic you probably don't want to spend alot of $ on a few trendy designer items, but Old Navy usually has some cool fun trendy pieces for really cheap, that you don't have to worry about keeping for only one season. You can throw in a few items to spice up your conservative everyday look for when you are going out with friends or family, etc. So for instance if you stick with Khaki pants you can wear it everyday with a t-shirt or sweater set or something, but if you have a few trendy pieces you can throw on a cute flowy blouse and some heels and wear the same pants out.

Also, if you find a pair of pants, shirt, etc. that feels really good on, buy a few.

ktdid74 Guest

I buy most of my clothes from these 2 places (LLB and ATL) and get my jeans from Gap. I am really going to miss going to LLB in Maine but will continue to order from the catalog. However, by no means am I a fashionista!! My goal is comfort and wearability (is that a word?) Love my new Keen shoes, too!

Eddie Bauer is another one worth checking out. Nice, basic stuff, not crazy expensive and well made. I have a bunch of their clothing, so does Jonathan.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04