Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Donating formula, coupons

Deinitely try a pregnancy crisis center or maybe even an adoption agency. The one we work with was thrilled to have extra coupons and formula when DS wasn't tolerating Similac. They gave some to new adoptive parents and some to women who decided to parent their child.
    Traci
    ~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
    Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

I'm not sure I understand your point. If a charity can use any brand of formula, what difference does it make which coupons she gives them? I think it's a shame to toss them. Yes, formula is expensive, but unfortunately there is nothing we can really do about it. We are very fortunate in this country to have the many different types of formula that we do. There are many babies without mothers that are taken care of by caregivers who have no other choice. What about adoptive mothers? Should they feel bad because they use formula? Then there are mothers like me who had no intention of ever using formula. I bought a pump and all the BF supplies I needed when I was pregnant and threw out many coupons. DD's suck was so weak that I had to pump and feed her with a syringe and the most I could ever pump was 2 - 3 ounces and often I would only get one to two. I had to supplement with formula then eventually found out that DD had a milk protein allergy. We have had her on hypoallergenic formula for 4 months now and she is thriving. Formula saved my DD's life and I use coupons as often as I can to save money. I desperately wanted to breastfeed and cried many tears over my failure. I often feel inferior enough without people being judgemental over my using formula. I'm actually embarrassed when I buy it and use it in public. Breastfeeding mothers may be asked to leave a public place to nurse, but I have had my share of dirty looks because I am mixing formula in public and bottle feeding.

I don't think formula companies give coupons to discourage BF, but to get you to use their brand.

I'm a little upset because the OP wanted to do something useful with the formula she didn't need. She wasn't directing them to mothers who could be breastfeeding or promoting a certain brand.

Please try to remember that some of us would prefer to breastfeed, but life hands us lemons sometimes and we do the best we can. I thank God everyday for allowing me to provide for my DD in the manner that is best for her. Sometimes an innocent comment can be very upsetting and may sound judgemental even if it's not intended that way.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kim, that was not my intention. My point was that the prices are artificially high because of the coupons and samples, so using coupons and samples keeps the prices high, no matter who uses them. If a charity uses them, then when that charity buys formula, they are paying an inflated price. Also, the price of generic formula is usually cheaper than the price of name-brand formula with coupons, and so charities should not require coupons and this may in fact promote more money spent as users may feel obliged to continue the expensive name brand formula that was initiated.

The formula companies *do* market formula in such a way as to encourage more formula use; it's been documented by numerous people and described in books like "Milk, Money, Madness" and is one of the reasons behind the WHO Code. The coupons and samples are specifically designed to entice women during decision-making times and times of doubt (like growth spurts).

That doesn't mean that there is not a need for formula in some situations (at least, in the US -- apparently, Brazil has such a robust milk bank system that in their capital, not a single baby received artificial formula according to a post on the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine listserv). Nor does it say anything about the mothers who use formula. The issue is that providing coupons or formula samples to women in vulnerable situations (like pregnant women at a CPC) can undermine/sabotage what would otherwise be successful breastfeeding. That's why I no longer give them away, particularly in situations where it may derail normal breastfeeding. What others do with them is up to them; I was just offering my opinion on the matter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

Shannon,

OK, I understand your point and I'm sorry if I overreacted. As you can probably tell, this is a very sensitive subject for me. I know that generic formula is cheaper, but some infants cannot tolerate it or they have special needs, like my DD, that generic cannot meet. If I want to save money, but don't want to encourage higher pricing, then I am in quite a quandry. I have literally saved over $100 dollars in 4 months by using coupons, because DD needs Nutramigen which is one of the highest priced formulas out there. Just today I bought three cans and complained to DH about the cost. I told him that this stupid formula is so expensive and that is just another reason why I wanted to breastfeed. Not the most important reason, but one nonetheless. I think he is probably tired of hearing my reasons for wanting to breastfeed, but he is rather patient with me about it.

I probably don't notice that formula companies market to encourage more formula use because I rarely read their information. I do notice that all the literature I have received states that breastfeeding is best, but here are your options. I am so for breastfeeding that I probably look at that differently than someone else who may not care one way or the other and will only do what is easiest for them.

I understand not providing these things to women in vulnerable times, but what about those charities that provide for unwanted babies like the group home I mentioned above? I donated samples to them that I couldn't use and I'm sure many of their infants require special formula that generic cannot provide. Yes, if they use the coupons, they are paying an inflated price, but it is inflated anyway. The only way to change that is to get everyone to stop using them and that is not likely to happen. Personally, I would still provide them to a charity, but that is just my opinion.

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Kim, I just wanted to say ITA with you and understand your frustration because we faced similar problems breastfeeding, and even though DD is almost a year old, I'm not over it. I know you have to do what is best for you and your baby, but it hurts, nonetheless.

Additionally, I don't think it's realistic to assume that by donating coupons to a CPC that we are assisting in sabotaging what would otherwise be successful breastfeeding. As you said, some of the mothers there are 10 years old, addicted to drugs, etc. In that type of situtation, it seems that there are so many other challenges to parenting, that formula is the least of the problems.

I also think your idea of donating to a CPC is a great one. I was just dropping my samples off at a food pantry.

Val
    Mom to Madeline
    7/28/04

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default update -Donating formula, coupons

hi all,
    i found a pregnancy crisis center and they are thrilled to be getting formula etc. so thank you for suggesting this. i would never have thought of it. they take all coupons and any other used baby stuff.
    now all my unused coupons have a good home :)
    thanks,
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

michlyn is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: update -Donating formula, coupons

Thanks for posting this question. I was wondering myself. People had some good suggestions, so I'll look for a pregnancy crisis center near me for donations too.
    Mom to 3 miracles

Default RE: update -Donating formula, coupons

So glad you found a worthy cause!! I'm sure they are ever so grateful!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2