Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Umbilical cord stumps--can they come off too soon?

I would call my ped to let them know and then keep an eye on it. Our friend's baby got an infection of the cord when he was about 2 weeks old and spent a week in Children's Hospital on strong antibiotics, but he is fine now. Just scary for the parents. And, according to our ped and the neonatologist at Swedish Hospital, the rec for caring for cords has changed. Now they want you (barring anything unusual) to leave it alone, do not put alcohol on it at all, do not clean it with cotton swabs, etc. Our ped said it would dry out faster that way and not get goopy, that putting alcohol on it actually slows the process. Based on his rec, we left it alone and had no problems. (I'm sure most people have no problems even with the prior way of caring for them involving alcohol too.) Our friends had been doing the alcohol swab deal based on their ped's practice, but at Children's they were told the same thing for future reference, to leave it alone.

Kimberly
    DS 3/18/04

We had the exact same thing. There is a name for it, and umbilical (something)gioma, as my ped told us. He said it will dry up on its own, or if it was discovered earlier, they could have used silver nitrate to dry it up.

Make sure that's what it is, and if so, no worries. And crazy as it sounds, Julia's cord didn't fall off until 5 weeks! Crazy huh? And then we were left with that stumpy thingy. The ped said she was going to make a career out of her left over cord! LOL!

Marcy
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Jordan's umbilical cord fell off at approx2 wks and he had a fleshy looking area afterwords. I took him to the ped. and she said it was a granuloma; she used silver nitrate and told me to keep it dry until the area looked more like regular flesh (only took a couple of days). Thankfully, DS now has a cute 'inny'.
    Michelle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2