Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    kensjen Guest

Default Did you think about initials when naming your child?

We have been occasionally talking about names. I have a favorite girl name that actually was on the list last time I was pregnant. I really love it, but her initials would spell KEG. For some reason, that just kinda bugs me. Not that everyone would know this or even think of it, but I know it and just can't get past it.

Of course my frat boy husband is like, "I think it is cool." Great. I'm sure all of the frat boys will love it, that is what I'm worried about. :) Of course, even if she did have something monogrammed, most likely it would be in the kGe format. And again, most people (ie annoying, teasing classmates) won't even know her middle name.

Did you even consider what your DC's initials would spell? And would you give your daughter (or your son, for that matter) KEG for initials?? hehe One of the main reasons I think of this is my BIL....his initials spell RAG and he has always hated it. He was so picky with their childrens' names because of this.

Anyway, just wondering, thanks!

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default I didn't

and still wouldn't...
    I personally think the name is such a force that I wouldn't dare let the initial thing bother me...
    but then again our children all have the same middle name which is nothing "pretty" but means a lot. I am really into what means something to you and that trumps my fears of what others think etc...

I only share this so you will feel more comfortable with going with the name that fits!!!!

Neve
    Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

Default RE: Did you think about initials when naming your child?

My brother's initials are RAG too :) and mine were LEG. If Billy had been a girl his would have been ABC.
    If I absolutely loved the name it wouldn't bother me but if I just liked the name the initials may sway me to something different. But like you said not everyone will know the middle name and of those that do, most of them probably won't even notice that it spells something.
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Personally I think about it. My first and last initials spell VD. It was pretty embarassing when I was younger but I'm past it now (embraced it in some ways). So, when we were picking names, I definately made sure the initials didn't spell something I wouldn't want to live with.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

phirey Guest

We've been wondering this, too. Our current top name choice spells EMT. Not that weird until you consider that DH and I met on an ambulance ramp when we were both working as paramedics. Some might say that makes EMT particularly apropos, but if you know the culture there's two types of emergency worker: those who live, eat and breathe EMS (and therefore would *try* for EMT initials), and those who frankly think the others are a bit odd. We're the latter, so we'd rather avoid EMT as initials.

But if we're the only ones who will ever notice, then who cares? I have never even thought about my friends' kids' initials.

So I'm curious what others think...

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I did, just to see if it would spell anything cool or spell anything terribly bad. But overall, I decided to go for a name that I liked and not worry too much about the initials.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 17 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My cousin was almost Amy Sue until her mother wrote the name on the birth certificate :P their last name started with an S. With some last minute scrambling she was named Wendy instead.
    Logan 13 Connor 10 and Nathan is......
    [/url]

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We did think about it but I would only let it stop me if it spelled something profane or that would be embarrassing for the child. I wouldn't let KEG stop me - it could potentially be cool to the frat boy crowd in college but other than that I really don't think it would subject her to much teasing or be a negative.

Holly
    Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Jen — Would the name you have in mind work if you switched the first and middle names, so it spelled EKG instead?

And yes, we did think about ISHie's initials before we named him. ;)

OTOH, my college roommate's parents either didn't think about it or didn't care; her initials were LAP, and she always through high school and college tried to hide that, because she was annoyed at being teased about "lap dog" and "lap dance."

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default But kids will always tease

don't y'all think???
    I mean if it is not one thing it will be another...

I was short in school (now I think I am about as average as average can be)...but in elementary school I was always joked for being the smallest. and then my maiden name had jokes of illegal plants that you smoke attached to it since it contained "joint" in the spelling. I mean kids are always teased, so if it is not one thing it will be another.

Sadly!!!

Neve
    Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast