Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    lisaE Guest

Default RE: Did you think about initials when naming your child?

I always heard that it's good luck if your initials spell a word. KEG wouldn't stop me at all.

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I did. My mom went to school with a kid who was teased relentlessly for his initials spelling out BRA. So, initials were a biggie for her.

A word like EMT or KEG wouldn't bug me, but anything vaguely "dirty" or swear-word like I'd skip unless I was REALLY attached to the combo.

Yes, I agree though, kids will tease regardless! I just always heard her talking about it when baby names came up, so its ingrained for me.

Elilly is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, I thought of initials but it didn't stop us from naming DD. Her initials are CML. To everyone but me, this is probably no big deal. However, I work in a hematology lab and CML is short for chronic myelogenous leukemia. The rest of my family thinks I'm insane for even thinking of it so I understand how you feel.
    As for KEG, I would be more apt to use if for a girl than a boy. Sexist reasoning I know but my feelings none the less.
    DD 02
    DS 04

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Liza's full name is Elizabeth Liana and our last name begins with an F so we have a little ELF! It was not intentional - we had the middle name picked out all along and I let dh pick her first name from a list of names that went well with Liana. I loved the way Elizabeth Liana sounded although we had a nice chuckle once we realized what the intials would be. :) Liza has embraced her initials and I just bought her an LL Bean backpack for school and had her initials embroidered on it at her request. If you love the name enough, I would go for it!

barbarhow Guest

Default RE: But kids will always tease

I agree with Neve on this one. My new initials are BCH-a bit to close to b*tch but I could not care less as an adult. Anna's initials are ACH-we thought about it for a bit and then decided it wasn't so bad unless she married someone with the last name Young.
    My maiden name was always made fun of-its always something. Pick a name you love and ignore the rest.
    Oh and Jack's initials-JVH-my DH balked at first on because of the JV-"I want him to be varsity". It's always something.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
    and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Yes, I do think they will, but...

in my roommate's case, it wasn't kids, it was young adults.

Not saying I'd choose a name based on that, and I have no doubt Isaac will face some teasing about his name at some point (because his first initial or his first and middle initials plus our last name make a sentence), but I did think it over. It's just one of the things I check when I'm thinking about names.

Default RE: Yes, I do think they will, but...

I know my kid will be teased, because he ostensibly has two last names AND a middle names (so 4 total). Of his last names, one is foreign and short(mine!), the other is of German origin and has to be spelled each time.

I guess I feel choosing a name is a parents prerogative, and teasing is just not a strong enough motivator for us to change our wishes.

:)

Not too much but enough. My cousin went to colleg with a FAG and he was teased beyond belief. When it comes down to it, kids are going to tease kids for any reason or no reason. My friend's maiden name is Terry and she was teased by a boy growing up. He used to call her Terry Terror. Duh.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

I always loved being JAM growing up. But, when I got married, I was much happier to drop my middle initial and become JMP rather than JAP. So, yes, its something I think of. Don't think KEG would be bad though... its not till HS (I hope) that they figure it out and by then, hopefully, the mean teasing has ended and its just a fun nickname--if anyone cares at all.
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

amp Guest

We do. I don't know if KEG would bother me or not, since I'm not making that decision, but we do look at the initials and have nixed a few names based on them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast