KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default OT: Removing stains from flatware

I just learned that the stains I have on my "stainless" flatware are likely caused by the lemon in the dishwasher detergent. I did not know I wasn't supposed to use lemon scented stuff. So, I can switch, but how do I remove the stains that are there? Is there any hope?
    Kris

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: OT: Removing stains from flatware

Hmmm? I wonder if that would explain why my new flatware was coming out pretty funky for a while? I'll have to think about that.

No advice really but I did notice an improvement if I hand washed them and the buffed them dry. I'll have to make a point to avoid the lemon stuff. Sorry I can't help you but you may have helped me. Thanks. :)
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

I was reading on the Oneida website (I have Oneida stainless steel flatware)--that you shouldn't use it with lemon dishwasher detergent (whic you and I are just now discovering ;))--that you should rinse food off it as soon as possible, and you can also use stainless steel cleaner to remove spots. I just bought some silver polish at Walmart the other day that says it works great on stainless steel flatware. So, i'm going to give that a try.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'll get some cleaner. I didn't think to look at the Oneida website. Thanks!

I'm glad I wasn't the last to know. But, if this is a problem, why are most detergents lemon scented??
    Kris

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There's a cleaning powder called Bar Keepers Friend that works GREAT for this - usually near the Comet, etc. at the store. Takes a little while, as you have to do it piece by piece - but it looks really nice when you're done. (And if you want more to do, mine could use it, too :) )

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ooh, I love Bar Keepers friend!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif