Default A basic question: why shoot at rescue efforts in New Orleans?

My imagination and logic is failing me here. Why have there been shootings at rescue helicopters in New Orleans? Shooting at a rescue helicopter gains the shooter nothing and almost certainly hurts them because the helicopter leaves. So why?

By the way, I think it is entirely possible and even probable that the reports of gunfire at rescuers are being exaggerated, but it seems clear that it has happened (in paricular, two shots yesterday at a rescue hospital at Charity Hospital). I can think of reasons why a lot of violent and inexcusable stuff has happened, from stealing TVs when you no longer have a house to not sending aid to the convention center to choosing not to evacuate. But can someone offer any emotional or logical explanation for shooting at a rescue attempt?
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: A basic question: why shoot at rescue efforts in New Orleans?

DH tells me that in these kinds of cases, I won't ever be able to understand, and I very much dislike that idea.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I thought I had heard a rumor that someone(s) might have been shooting into the air to get the helicopter's attention for rescue purposes?? Desperation, clearly, if it's accurate. Obviously these people have no access to media reports and likely have no clue what's happening re: rescue plans.

Like the rest of the world, I cannot understand it either.

For some reason I thought I heard/read that one reason could be that they were trying to get the helicopter to help in some other area (where their families are?) Makes no sense still, I know. But these are desperate people (and many have been in an almost-desperate state even before the hurricane and the flooding). The whole thing makes me wonder what kind of irrational things I would do in that kind of desperation. Again, I am fortunately not caught in that dire situation, so I really cannot posture why some people did what they did. for example, why you see people floating down with a big plasma TV tittering on a mattress...

Lin
    Mom to 2 wild boys
    D 3/98
    G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/...n/pnoodles.gif

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's one of those things that's nearly impossible to understand from where we're sitting. What I know, though, is that people in desperate situations (and for some of these people the desperation predated Katrina) can get crazy. I imagine that some people are in the miserable, frantic fog of drug withdrawal. Some are probably so hopeless and furious that they have nothing to lose, and no skills to express that hopelessness and fury in less dangerous ways. Some probably have long felt abandoned by their government and their communities and are simply rageful. Today a bus stopped and evacuated a Hyatt (complete with paying guests with luggage) instead of rescuing people from the Superdome or the convention center. I imagine that if a person felt constantly treated as sub-human and then witnessed something like that, it's possible that he'd snap.

I'm not excusing the violence. I think it's appalling beyond words. But I also think it's not very surprising given the circumstances. It makes me want to cry.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    New baby coming in October!
    (Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...ethyst_36m.gif
    Nursed for three years!

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

People do stupid things and evil will always exist. I'm not saying that, perhaps, some people with the guns are tryuing to get the attention of a helicopter or have it purely to protect themselves against people with bad motives, but from what is being reported, there are far more gangbangers using the guns to intimidate, terrorize, and steal. It is a shame that a few are giving such a poor image to so many who need help....and keeping help away from everyone.
    Traci
    ~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
    Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!