Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default OT: Gabaldon addicts, our fix comes Tuesday

I know in the big books thread this summer some others 'fessed up to being hooked on Diana Gabldon's "Outlander" series. The next installment in the Claire and Jamie saga is being held hostage until Tuesday the 27th, but then "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" will be unembargoed! My local B&N admitted to having it in the back room last night.

And for anyone who isn't hooked yet: start from the beginning. Best way I can describe the series is intelligent, fun, bodice-ripper, with a strong footing in history -- and with a smart heroine and a hot hero! (evil grin) They are easy reads, but nice fat books you can really dive into, or take in small bites when you can steal a minute or two. And there are several in the series so if you, too, get hooked on these characters, you don't have to let go too soon.

Can you tell I'm excited? They've been postponing this release for months now, and I NEED my Claire and Jamie!

Benet

edited because I'm superstitious and afraid of jinxing myself ;)

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: OT: Gabaldon addicts, our fix comes Tuesday

I'm excited too.

I have to confess to being disappointed in 'The fiery cross' both in content and the fact that it wasn't released in paperback here (that I saw), just trade paper (after hardcover I presume) so it looks strange beside all her other books which they conveniently rereleased in trade paper!!!

Hopefully this one will meet my expectations. I'll probably reread the whole series again.

eta: GL w/ your 2ww!!!
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

ITA, on all counts! Why are they doing that with so many paperback releases lately? I love the cheap and tacky covers! LOL!

I usually reread the series before I start the latest, but I'll just hope my memory kicks in this time. I can't wait!

(thanks!)

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Do you have the outlandish companion??? I really liked it just a stand-alone read, lots of tidbits.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

I checked it out from the library instead of buying. The only one I'm missing. I did get a kcik out of it. Oh, except did you read the "Lord John Grey" book? I was so mad that she'd waste time on that instead of Claire and Jamie, I didn't read it! LOL!

I actually really liked The Fiery Cross, but I think it's because I really identified with all the pregnancy and nursing stuff since I have a little one now. I waited to read it until a couple months ago and I think the timing was good for me. There seemed to be a very maternal vein to that particular book.

Outlander will *always* be my favorite in the series, though.

YAY! Come on, Tuesday! Get here already!
    Erica, mama to Lucas Owen 1/11/05, Finn William 2/22/08 and Ethan James 2/10/10

OMG, I am so excited!! I love this series to death!!!
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

I have the Lord John Grey book. I got it for Christmas and I'm not even halfway through. It's outraegously boring.

DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

I was dissapointed in the Fiery Cross too. It was much harder to plow through. But I loved the ending where Ian came back. I can't wait to hear where he's been!
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

I have it pre-ordered, so that it will be delivered to my door on the 27th. Huge nerd. I have been listening to some of them on tape or Audible to get ready. I find I have much less patience for all the sexy scenes on tape. I ususally flip through them. I am SO happy when she doesn't go into enormous detail, those characters are always gettin' busy.

I am currently listening to Dragonfly in Amber, but I think I maybe don't have the one I want. I wanted the one where Brianna goes back, which I think is actually Voyager.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast