Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Scared to DEATH about moving.....

Most of you probably missed my Annapolis thread, but DH has accepted a new job down there and we will be moving in about two weeks. I am so thrilled to be getting out of the town I live in now and moving on to much better things for both of us, but for some reason the idea of moving terrifies me. Maybe it's because in two weeks we will be going to live somewhere where we currently have NOTHING, no place to live, no friends or family (though we will be much closer to DH's family than we are now), no job for me, etc.

I have to tell my boss I am leaving as soon as he gets out of the meeting he is in now, so maybe that is part of my anxiety. I know he won't be happy since we are heading into what is by far the busiest time of the year for us. Also, this happened very fast. DH got a call from his new boss last Wednesday asking if he would like the job, we went down over the weekend for his interview, and now, less than a week later, he has accepted the offer and we are moving! Ugh, my head is spinning!

Not really much to reply to here, just me trying to get some relief from the permanent knot that has been in my stomach for the past few days........

Sarah

Calmegja2 Guest

Default RE: Scared to DEATH about moving.....

Aw, we've been there, and the what-ifs can be overwhelming, but you are going to have such an exciting ride ahead of you.

Call me weird, but I love moving, and I actually miss it. With DH's job, we moved half a dozen times in about half a dozen years, all over.

I thought, that although it could be overwhelming a little at times, that it was amazing to get all those new experiences!!

Can we do anything here to help you?

DH and I have moved almost every year that we have been together. This time we have in our present location will be our longest stint yet: 3 years. Which will be followed by yet another great move.

While not fun, I try to look at the move as a positive experience and an opportunity: When else do you get a clean slate of a house, a chance to completely declutter (I use the 2 year rule). etc. :)

Sarah -

I hate moving. Hate it hate it hate it. And am moving again in a week, luckily, just across town this time. So I guess I don't have any great advice for you, just a lot of empathy. FWIW, I always find the lead-up to the move worse than the actual move and aftermath. I can always imagine more horrible things than will actually happen, and I usually end up pretty happy once it's all done and I'm settled. Just take one day at a time...

-Ry,
    mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
    and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img]

Sarah, big hugs to you. I totally understand your anxiety. But it sounds like a great opportunity for your family and I am sure it will work out in the end. Can you apartment shop online?
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

kensjen Guest

I know how you feel. It can be so exciting to move, but there is also the anxiety, stress, what-ifs...

But try to look at the positives, if you can. As for your boss, wel I am hoping that he will just be happy for you. I was in the same position before we moved here. DH got a call, flew up a few days later, they offered the job while he was here...boom! He had to give his notice the next day at work, as did I...it can be uncomfortable, but once it is over you will feel better. It is something that you can get all worked up about but usually it goes OK. It is not like it is negotiable, ya know?

Let us all know what we can do to help, and hopefully some local mommies will help you out when you get there. It is amazing how fast you can start to feel at home somewhere, especially with the internet.

Relax a bit, and enjoy this new adventure!! :)

MegND95 Guest

I can sympathize with your anxiety! It's hard to pack up and move to the unknown. Dh and I have been married 9 years and have had 6 different addresses and lived in 5 states! We actually came to love moving, as it gives us an opportunity to meet new people, explore new cities and try new things. Although now that the kids are getting older, moving is much more complicated.

But as a pp suggested, look at this as an opportunity to open and expand your life. Plus, be confident that Annapolis and it's surroundings should really enhance your life.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. :)

I do feel better now that I have told my boss and staff at work. It was difficult to do, but I'm glad that they know. Everyone was pretty supportive.

I guess the fear of the unknown is always difficult to face. I know that the most important thing is that DH and I will be together, which will be someting familiar in an unfamiliar place.

Housing down there is SO EXPENSIVE but DH's new boss might have an opportunity for us to rent short-term, until we can sell our house up here and hopefully make enough of a profit for a down payment there.

Things are looking up!

Sarah

Sarah,
    I'm so excited for you! I also HATE moving (I hoard junk so we always have a lot of stuff to pack/sell/throw away) and have avoided moving to "new" places as much as possible because I feel comfortable where I am. But, I then I still wonder "what if" about everything, too. So maybe it's a no win situation. :)

It's different for you, though, since you WANT to get out of where you are now. :) It most definitely will be an adventure! I'm really happy for you and your DH, though. Yay!
    Caroline
    Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

lukkykatt Guest

Sarah, I live about 35 minutes from Annapolis - if you need any help/advice with anything before or after you move, PM me! Also, one of my friends' husbands just took a job in Annapolis and they bought a house on the Eastern Shore, fyi. I think she said about a 40 minute commute. Apparently a lot of developments are springing up over there because the prices are much lower - just something for you to think about.

I think MD has been a great place to live, especially raising children.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast